Caprese On A Stick!

Matt Armendariz’s new cookbook On A Stick! is fun. It’s well designed and of course, beautifully photographed (Matt is a professional food photographer who blogs at Matt Bites.) But above all else, it’s really fun. And according to Matt, not only is food on a stick more fun, it tastes better.

So to put his theory to the test and add some fun to our Memorial Day weekend, I made an entire meal on sticks. All of the food I made was inspired by recipes in the book – Fruit Salad Skewers, Grilled Pineapple Skewers, Chicken Kabobs with Orange Teriyaki Glaze and Caprese on a Stick.

We absolutely loved the Orange Teriyaki Glaze and I’ll post the Chicken Kabobs recipe later in the week. But the Caprese on a Stick was so good, it deserves a post of it’s own. I want it to be listed in my recipe index so I’ll be reminded next time I’m looking for a great appetizer to take to a party.

Of course one of the great things about stick food is that you can change it up any way you like. Matt’s original recipe uses Cherry Tomatoes and Mozzarella balls, but Costco was selling Mozzarella pearls, which were the perfect size to pair with grape tomatoes. I drizzled mine with a little balasmic vinegar and olive oil after I took the pictures.

Caprese On A Stick!

Caprese On A Stick!

Ingredients

• 12 small bamboo skewers
  • 24 grape tomatoes
  • 36 fresh mozzarella pearls
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
  • Fresh basil leaves
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Balsamic vinegar and olive oil (optional)

Directions

1. Alternate grape tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves on small bamboo skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, if desired.

Notes

adapted from On A Stick!

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

This weekend I opted for light and healthy recipes from On A Stick! but I’m sure I’ll get around to making some of the more indulgent recipes like fried ravioli, corn dogs, or the one I’ve been drooling over, Cheesecake on A Stick.

I was sent a free copy of On A Stick! from the publisher to review. I received no compensation and the opinions expressed are my own.

This post is part of Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese,RösleEmile HenryRouxbe and ManPans.

Comments

1. Pat says

Oh, arent’ these just the perfect thing…we love’m in our family. Haven’t tried with the sundried tomatoes but the rest of it is loverly.

They all look really fun. These should all be in the Minnesota State Fair — I think they brag about selling around 50 different kinds of foods on a stick. And these are much prettier and healthier than deep-fried stuff!

I’ve made that, Barbara, and served it as an hors d’oeuvre! Saw it in a magazine a while back. What a fun book that is. I’m putting it on my wish list right now.

Love it! So fresh and perfect for summer. Caprese is one of my favorites to eat but sometimes it can be hard the way some people put it together on a plate. I am loving the idea of it on a stick! Awesome

5. Ashley@Bakerbynature says

My Mama makes these @ BBQs all the time; such a lovely idea to turn a classic salad into finger food.

Barbara, love all the “on a stick”, they are colorful, easy to serve and so cute. Love the idea. Hope you are having a great week :-)

What a terrific and fun book. When I first started my blog, I posted a luncheon I did at church and we had caprese on a stick! Always a hit.

8. Kathy says

How fun… Now if only Costco wasn’t 50 miles away!!! I’m having fun making the food from posts, and this looks like it will be a hit. (With the adults in the family, at least)

I love food on a stick! This could make so many versions, plus you are right perfect to take to a party.
    Little swords of foods.. love it!

Aren’t these fun? I did something nearly identical last year for my Mom’s 90th birthday party, and again just a few months ago for a get together, and they were a huge hit both times! People really do love food they can pick up on a stick. Very pretty!

What a fun idea – perfect party food! I can’t wait to see the chicken recipe, that sounds like it’s right up our alley here :)

i’ve been hearing a lot about this book, i need to check it out. these look marvelous, i love that it has sundried tomatoes on it.

I just received a copy of this book and am looking forward to trying many of the recipes for our Concerts in the Park picnics. We did a themed concert picnic last summer, called Sticks & Balls, so maybe one week this summer we’ll require everything to be on a stick! Very fun, indeed!

I love summer when the tomatoes really come into their own. I have trouble staying away from caprese skewers when I find them at buffets here. Love them.
    Onse suggestion. As much as I adore balsamic vinegar, if the tomates are in the middle of their season skip it. There are so many great flavours here, you might want to concentrate on a few. But if the tomatoes are a bit sour, then go for it!

Your menu looks fun and delicious (that chicken looks sooo good). One of the best things about *eating on the stick* is that you feel as if you are just nibbling and yet you end up getting full with much less portions.

I simply can’t wait until the day I buy this book. I really think I “need” to have it:) The caprese on a stick, as well as everything else, looks perfect for a BBQ. I bet everyone was super pleased with your menu!

That’s what I always say, it tastes better when it comes on a stick! I love this idea Caprese on a stick it works great in a bento box lunch too.

I’ve seen a lot of this book around the blog world — I’ll have to check it out! Love the idea of Caprese on a stick!

• says

Me too Faith – I adore food on a stick & am about to head on over to check out this cookbook. Adore Caprese at the best of times, but …… on a stick!! Wow :)