Vanilla ice cream “snowballs” rolled in shredded coconut and served in a puddle of hot fudge. A fun way to dress up ice cream and beat the summer heat.
When I was a little girl, my mom made Snowballs for a church party. It seemed like she made hundreds of them and stored them in the big freezer in the basement. They were off limits until the party, which made them even more irresistible.
This is such an easy dessert idea. You could make the snowballs with any flavor of ice cream and roll them in your favorite candy or nuts. In addition to coconut snowballs, I made Rocky Road Snowballs that my boys especially loved.
It would be fun to create an ice cream snowball bar and let guests make their own snowballs any way they want them. The possibility are endless.
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups shredded coconut*
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and put the baking sheet in the freezer. Scoop ice cream into a ball and place on the baking sheet in the freezer. (I used a #16 scoop which holds about 1/3 cup of ice cream, but you could make them any size you’d like.)
- Make 12 snowballs and place each snowball on the baking sheet in the freezer. Freeze until solid about one hour.
- Put the coconut in a pie plate. One at a time, roll the ice cream balls in coconut. Gently press coconut into the ice cream. Return the snowball to the baking sheet in the freezer.
- When all the snowballs have been decorated you can serve immediately or store in the freezer covered for one week. If desired, serve with your favorite ice cream topping.
- *Rocky Road Snowballs: substitute 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, and 1 cup Kraft Marshmallow Bits for the coconut
This and other Cool Treats to Beat the Heat recipes are featured in the beautiful new summer edition of Foodie Crush Online Magainze.
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!