A giant chocolate chip coconut cookie baked in a cast-iron skillet. I subbed coconut oil for the butter to up the coconut flavor even more and make the cookie a little more heart-healthy.
My family has become a bit obsessed with the skillet cookie since I baked it in November. My son has even started asking me to bake him a skookie (skillet + cookie) on a regular basis. When I Googled to see if there were other skookie recipes, I found there’s actually a cast iron pan set you can buy just for making skookies. I’ve also seen them called Pizookie (pizza + cookie).
I had the Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie from Paradise Bakery in mind when I adapted this recipe from The Picky Palate cookbook. I love the addition of shredded coconut to a chocolate chip cookie.
I decided to take it one step further and used coconut oil instead of butter in the recipe. The top of the skillet cookie is a little bit flaky using the coconut oil, a wonderful contrast to the chewy edges and gooey middle.
- 10 tablespoons coconut oil, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 8 tablespoons of coconut oil and the sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, beating until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on low. Add the coconut and chocolate chips and mix on low until just combined. Press the cookie dough into the prepared skillet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges are crisp and the cookie is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven. If desired, serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.
More skillet cookies your might like:
Skillet Baked Candy Bar Stuffed Double Cookie, Pickie Palate
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Skillet Cookie, Averie Cooks
Deep Dish Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie, Foodie with Family
Brown Butter Skillet Cookie with Butterscotch Sauce, Completely Delicious
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, Created by Diane
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!