Whole wheat pancakes made with coconut oil and lite coconut milk, topped with bananas in a caramel sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut. These Bananas Foster Coconut Pancakes are a little taste of the tropics.
While perusing the recipes in the SuperFood Kitchen cookbook recently, I found a pancake recipe that uses coconut oil. (Last week I posted about the benefits of using coconut oil.) The recipe directs you to use a blender to emulsify the coconut oil with the milk to create a lighter fluffier pancake.
I decided to combine this technique with my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe. I also amped up the coconut flavor by using lite coconut milk.
To give the pancakes even more of a tropical flavor, I decided to add bananas, and my favorite way to eat bananas is bananas foster. It’s a bit of a decadent topping for a healthier pancake, but probably not more calories than eating pancakes with maple syrup, and they’re definitely way more fun.
I hope you’ll give them a try.
Bananas Foster Coconut Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
Bananas Foster Topping
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 firm ripe bananas sliced
- Preheat griddle to 375º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, blend together coconut milk, milk, coconut oil and eggs until frothy. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Grease the griddle with coconut oil. Pour ¼ cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- Bananas Foster Topping
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, water and vanilla stir until smooth.
- Add the banana slices and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cook for 1 minute (don’t overcook the banana.) Remove from heat.
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pancakes, Barbara Bakes
Orange Pancakes with Berry-Orange Sauce, Iowa Girl Eats
Whole Wheat Oat Gingerbread Pumpkin Pancake Recipe, Cookin’ Canuck
Multi Grain Chocolate Pancakes, Sweet Basil
Carrot Cake Pancakes, All Day I Dream About Food
Peanut Butter Pancakes, Your Homebased Mom
These are just mouthwatering! Almost too pretty to eat. Thanks too for linking to my peanut butter pancakes and supporting my first Linky Party!!
I am totally loving these!! I love anything bananas foster, and these are calling my name!
these sound amazing. I love coconut and who doesn;t love bananas foster!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
Mum, I’d get up at any hour for a serve of these delicious pancakes! I’ve had bananas fosters a few times and every time, I finished every drop! 😀 xxx