Whole wheat pancakes made with coconut oil and lite coconut milk, topped with bananas in a caramel sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut. These Bananas Foster Coconut Pancakes are a little taste of the tropics.
While perusing the recipes in the SuperFood Kitchen cookbook recently, I found a pancake recipe that uses coconut oil. (Last week I posted about the benefits of using coconut oil.) The recipe directs you to use a blender to emulsify the coconut oil with the milk to create a lighter fluffier pancake.
I decided to combine this technique with my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe. I also amped up the coconut flavor by using lite coconut milk.
To give the pancakes even more of a tropical flavor, I decided to add bananas, and my favorite way to eat bananas is bananas foster. It’s a bit of a decadent topping for a healthier pancake, but probably not more calories than eating pancakes with maple syrup, and they’re definitely way more fun.
I hope you’ll give them a try.
Bananas Foster Coconut Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
Bananas Foster Topping
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 firm ripe bananas sliced
- Preheat griddle to 375º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, blend together coconut milk, milk, coconut oil and eggs until frothy. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Grease the griddle with coconut oil. Pour ¼ cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- Bananas Foster Topping
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, water and vanilla stir until smooth.
- Add the banana slices and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cook for 1 minute (don’t overcook the banana.) Remove from heat.
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pancakes, Barbara Bakes
Orange Pancakes with Berry-Orange Sauce, Iowa Girl Eats
Whole Wheat Oat Gingerbread Pumpkin Pancake Recipe, Cookin’ Canuck
Multi Grain Chocolate Pancakes, Sweet Basil
Carrot Cake Pancakes, All Day I Dream About Food
Peanut Butter Pancakes, Your Homebased Mom