A spicy chicken, black bean and cheese filling all wrapped up in a thin crispy egg roll wrapper. These Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls are a delicious fusion of Southwest and Asian cuisines that are baked and not fried.
I saw this innovative appetizer idea at Annie’s Eats delicious site. Since we rarely eat appetizers, I decided to make them larger to serve as a main dish for dinner.
I’ve made them many times since I first tried them, and they’re always a hit. It’s an easy recipe to throw together at the last minute and have on the table in 20 minutes.
Also included in this post is a Recipe Round Up. I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing Football Party Appetizer Recipes.
I added some shredded chicken breast, you could buy a rotisserie chicken and shredded it. Or, do as I did and just quickly grill one large chicken breast in a grill pan on the stove.
Usually, my husband will help me fill and roll the egg rolls. It only takes a few minutes and you don’t need to worry about making them perfect. Last time I made them, I took the above step by step photos of how to roll them up.
I used a Silpat to roll them up on just to control the mess, but you can just do it on the counter or a plate if you prefer.
After the egg rolls are assembled, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat. The new non-stick aluminum foil would also work and help make clean up easier.
Then spray the tops with non-stick cooking spray, or if you’re not a fan of cooking spray, brush a little oil on top. You don’t need to spray the bottom side. Usually oil will find it’s way to the bottom by the time it’s time to turn them. The little bit of oil helps them to crisp up.
Every oven is different, so keep an eye up them. You want them to be nice and crispy, but you don’t want to burn them.
These are great finger food and perfect for the big game coming up soon. What’s not to love about a spicy, cheesy filling all wrapped up in a thin crispy shell.
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend I used a cheddar/jack blend
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles, drained
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 package egg roll wrappers about 24 total
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Mix well to blend.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place ¼ cup of the filling in the center. Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward and fold them in toward the center. Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is still free. Dip a finger in water or beaten egg and lightly brush on the edges of the free corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Serve warm with salsa.
More Football Party Appetizer Recipes You Might Like:
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Avocado Texas Caviar
Roasted Garlic Boneless Buffalo Wings
BBQ Bacon Totchos
Chicken Roll Ups
20-Minute Pepper Jelly Glazed Meatballs
Bourbon BBQ Little Smokies
Cream Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
Mini Pigs in a Blanket
Healthy Layered Taco Dip
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers