These really are the Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins! They’re big, beautiful, and tender muffins, loaded with blueberries and crowned with a sweet crunchy streusel topping.
Do you have a recipe you consider the best? My good friend Becky, Vintage Mixer, posted several of her best recipes lately, and I couldn’t resist baking “the best blueberry muffins that you’ll ever sink your teeth into.”
This recipe was given to her by the chef at Communal, and it is a big, beautiful muffin that rises over the top of the muffins cups. It’s loaded with 2 cups of blueberries, which don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin because of the thick, coffee-cake-like batter.
Our family loves a streusel topping on muffins so I added an easy to make sweet/sandy streusel topping. Muffins without a streusel topping are kind of like cupcakes without frosting. Delicious without it, but irresistible with it.
Making The Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins
I use a scoop to perfectly portion out the muffins, and I love using If You Care Baking Cups. They’re the best muffin / cupcake papers. The muffin pulls away so easily from the paper – no wasted muffin. You can also bake them without the muffin papers, but clean up is so much easier if you use papers.
Making the streusel topping with oil gives it a great sandy texture, but if you prefer, you can substitute butter for the oil.
When baking something that comes together as quickly as muffins, it’s especially important to have all your ingredients gathered together and ready to go (mis en place). If you have everything assembled, from scratch muffins don’t take much more time than muffins from a box.
This recipe uses 1/2 cup (1 stick) of room temperature butter. To quickly warm up your butter, cut it into slices and let it sit in the bowl while you assemble all your ingredients.
I like to make the streusel topping first so that it’s ready to sprinkle on and I don’t get lazy and leave it off.
Update: These really are the best muffins! It’s become one of my most popular recipes. If you haven’t made them yet, definitely give them a try.
If you have a recipe you consider THE BEST, I’d love to hear about it!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare streusel topping and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan before removing to cool on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and flour. Add oil and mix until mixture has a sandy texture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other best muffin recipes:
How to Make the Best Muffins/One-Bowl Oatmeal Muffins, Simple Bites
Whole Wheat Apple Muffins, Smitten Kitchen
Banana Bread Muffins, Barbara Bakes
Chunky Monkey Banana Muffins, Barbara Bakes