Fresh, juicy, sweet strawberries and blackberries layered with pound cake and whipped cream. A scrumptious, easy-to-put-together, perfect-for-summer dessert.
Recently, Martha Stewart did a segment on The Today Show about keeping your freezer well stocked with staples to create easy desserts when guests stop by. It sounded like fabulous advice to me. I definitely don’t want to be caught short handed without dessert.
Of course when she mentioned keeping frozen pound cake around for just such an emergency, I paid particular attention. I’ve had a love affair with frozen Sara Lee pound cake for years now.
When Mother’s Day rolled around, I wanted something scrumptious, but also super easy to make when our kids stopped by. These Berry Parfaits were a perfect choice. Serving them in pretty glasses makes them more fun to eat, and everyone made their own just the way they wanted it.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 cup blackberries
- ¼ cup agave syrup can substitute ¼ - ½ cup sugar
- 1 frozen pound cake thawed and cubed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, gently mix strawberries and black berries with agave syrup and set aside at room temperature while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, combine the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Use wine or parfait glasses and layer the berries with the cream and the pound cake.
More great berry desserts:
Blackberry Cheesecake Pots, Barbara Bakes
Red, White and Blue Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Barbara Bakes
Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches with Blueberry Swirl, Vintage Mixer
Blueberry Cobbler, Dragon’s Kitchen
How to Store Fresh Strawberries, Judy’s Kitchen