If you’re a Snickers candy bar lover, then you’re going to go crazy for this Snickers Ice Cream. It’s The Best Homemade Snickers Ice Cream!
My husband’s family has a family reunion / ice cream party every July. They always make homemade ice cream for the party, and my father-in-law has been making and bringing this Snickers Ice Cream to the party for more than 15 years.
My father-in-law turned 90 this year. So he decided it was time to pass on the Snickers Ice Cream recipe to my husband so my husband could make it for the party this year.
Making The Best Homemade Snickers Ice Cream
The ice cream is actually a frozen custard. To make the frozen custard, you cook sweetened half and half with cornstarch and egg yolks on the stove until it thickens slightly.
Then you add the heavy cream and chill the custard for several hours or overnight. After it’s well chilled, you add whole milk and churn the ice cream in a large 6 quart ice cream maker.
My father-in-law always adds chopped maraschino cherries to the Snickers Ice Cream when he makes it. I’m not a huge fan of maraschino cherries, and my niece asked my husband to make it without the cherries. So he brought chopped cherries for people to stir in if they wanted cherries.
I brought some of the ice cream home so I could take pictures and share the recipe with my readers. When I served the ice cream at home, I topped it with hot fudge, a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and more chopped Snickers candy bars.
It’s a rich creamy ice cream base, so you can really change it up any way you’d like it. I’d love it with Milky Ways, my favorite candy bar.
Homemade ice cream is the perfect dessert on a hot summer night, so definitely give this Homemade Snickers Ice Cream recipe a try soon.
The Best Homemade Snickers Ice Cream
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart half and half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 (1.56 ounce) Snickers Candy Bars, chopped
- Add sugar, corn starch, and salt to a large saucepan and whisk to combine. Whisk in half and half and egg yolks. Cook over medium high heat until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream and vanilla. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Add mixture to the ice cream freezer container. Add whole milk up to the 4 quart line. Freeze according to ice cream freezer directions.
- When ice cream is thick, stir in chopped Snickers (and cherries if using).
- Pack ice cream freezer with additional ice and let sit for at least two hours to set.
2 (16 ounce) jars Maraschino cherries, chopped
More ice cream recipes you might like: