A rich, fudgy brownie filled with caramel, coconut and drizzled with chocolate. The flavors of a Samoa cookie in a decadent little brownie bite.
Gygi (one of my favorite stores) invited 7 local bloggers to create a recipe using Peter’s Caramel. Samoas are one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies, so I thought it would be fun to incorporate the flavors of Samoas in an irresistible little brownie bite.
Gygi sent the bloggers a 5 lb. loaf of Peters Caramel. I’d never tired their caramel before, but now I’m hooked. It’s rich, smooth and creamy. It melts easily and best of all you don’t have to unwrap lots of little caramel squares when you want to use it.
Gygi is having a contest on their site where you can checkout all 7 delicious recipes and vote for your favorite recipe. I’ve taken these brownie bites to two parties now and they received rave reviews, so they’re certainly a favorite of mine.
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pouch Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 15 ounces Peters Caramel (approximately 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup Guittard Dark Chocolate Apeels or other dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Toast coconut on rimmed baking sheet for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Line mini muffin pans with paper liners. (The brownies are difficult to remove from the pan without liners.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together water, oil and egg until well combined. Add brownie mix and stir until well blended. Scoop 1 tablespoon brownie batter in to each of the paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake brownies 15 minutes until the brownies are firm to the touch. Don't overbake, you want them to be fudgy.
- While brownies are baking, put the caramel and evaporated milk in a microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 1 minute. Stir. Cook on 50% power for 1 minute or until caramel starts to bubble. Stir again. Repeat until caramel is melted and combined with milk.
- Stir in toasted coconut. Set aside until ready to use.
- Remove baked brownies from oven and using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each brownie. Fill with caramel filling. (Reheat caramel filling on 50% power if necessary.)
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl on 50% power, stirring often. When melted, put in a small Ziploc bag, snip off a little bit of the corner of the bag. Drizzle over the top of the caramel filling.
High altitude adjustments: add 1/4 cup flour to brownie mix and an addition 2 tablespoons water
Today’s post is also part of 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Brenda, Meal Planning Magic. I used cute little Halloween cups for the pictures for Gygi, but they would be fun dressed up for Christmas with some cute little mini Christmas cupcake liners.