Comfort food with a St. Patrick’s Day twist. Individual pot pies with a clover in the middle of a tender, flaky crust, hiding a chunky chicken and vegetable filling in a creamy white sauce.
Also included in this post is a Recipe Round Up. I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing St. Patrick’s Day Recipes.
My mom often cooked frozen pot pies when I was growing up. They were easy, filling and best of all cheap. It wasn’t until after I got married I realized that they really weren’t very tasty.
I switched to the Marie Calendar frozen pot pies, which was definitely a step up, but ever since I started making pot pies from scratch, a frozen pot pie just won’t cut it anymore.
Making them at home is a bit time consuming, but not difficult, and the end result is comfort food at it’s finest. Pot pies are one of my kids’ favorite dinners. Usually, I make a large pot pie in a 9×13 pan, but I decide to change it up for St. Patrick’s day and make individual pot pies.
You need more crust making individual pies, but more crust is never a bad thing in my book.
You can make your pot pies in any oven safe dish. I bought some disposable tins at the grocery store.
In the past, I’ve made them in cute little soup crocks and left the pastry edge unfinished. I like the rustic look and not having to waste any of my favorite part, the crust.
My daughter likes to cook the crust separately while she’s making the filling. She cuts the crust into fun shapes and serves the cut outs on a plate so the kids can top the filling with as many fun shapes as they’d like.
It’s a fun and easy way to get the kids involve if you want to let them help cut out the shapes as well. (And if they don’t like the pie crust, none of it goes to waste!)
You can also make the chicken pot pie filling in the pressure cooker, which is my go-to method on nights I’m not using leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Any way you make it, it’s pure comfort food and your family will ask for it again and again.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cooked potato, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 2/3 cup shortening, chilled (You get the flakiness from the shortening and the great taste from the butter)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk. Heat to boiling and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Add more milk if it's too thick).
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken and vegetables. Pour into individual baking dishes and top with pie crust. Cook uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool a few minutes before eating.
- Combined flour and salt in a bowl. Cut butter into small cubes. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture until it resembles very coarse meal. Gradually add water. Divide in four equal pieces, form into round disks, and wrap in plastic. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out each crust at least 1" larger than baking dishes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1132Total Fat: 75gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 1279mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Slow Cooker Guinness Beer Cheese Dip
Irish Cream & Mint Iced Mocha
Irish Potato Soup
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies
Irish Soda Bread
Dark Chocolate Guinness Fudge
Irish Apple Cake with Custard Sauce
Chicken Pot Pie
More St. Patrick’s Day recipes you might like:
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage, Pressure Cooking Today
Mint Chocolate Chip Pie for St. Patrick’s Day, Barbara Bakes
19 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes, Brown Eyed Baker
Beef and Guinness Stew for St. Patrick’s Day, Reluctant Entertainer
St. Patrick’s Day Round Up, Real Mom Kitchen
Irish Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich, Kitchen Belleicious