Luscious Chocolate Covered Frozen Key Lime Pie Bites are perfect for summertime entertaining. They’re easy-to-make, no-bake, and require only a few minutes of hands on prep time.
I’ve teamed up with Athens Foods for today’s post. I recently returned from Florida where I couldn’t resist ordering chocolate covered frozen key lime pie on a stick. It’s cool and refreshing and a must have on a hot Florida summer’s day. When I got home, I decided it would be fun to create a bite size version.
These no-bake Chocolate Covered Frozen Key Lime Pie Bites start with Athens pre-made, recipe-ready Mini Fillo Shells as the base. You’ll find the Mini Fillo Shells in the freezer section at the supermarket. The shells are crisp and flaky and come in little plastic trays so the shells don’t get crushed or broken.
I loaded up the shells with a creamy, tart key lime pie filling that doesn’t contained eggs, so you don’t have to bake them. Once the shells are filled and frozen, you simply melt the chocolate in the microwave and drizzle chocolate over the top of the bites.
Then to make the bites pretty, I topped them with a little whipped cream, a thinly sliced wedge of lime, and a little lime zest. The decoration is optional, but it does dress them up nicely for a party.
I used a dipping tool to hold the bite over the bowl of chocolate, but a regular fork would work as well.
My family are milk chocolate lovers, but if you prefer semi-sweet chocolate use that instead.
These are the perfect ending to a summer party. You can make them ahead of time and keep them in the freezer until it’s time to serve them.
Your guests will be impressed and there’s no need to tell them how easy they are to make.
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice*
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated key lime zest
- 12 ounces semi-sweet or milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Whipped cream, limed wedges, lime zest for decorating, optional
- Place Fillo shells on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice until smooth. Stir in sour cream and lime zest. Divide the mixture evenly among the 30 Mini Fillo Shells. Put baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- In a microwave safe dish, heat chocolate and shortening on 50% power for 1 minute; stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 30-second intervals on 50% power until melted and smooth.
- Hold a Key Lime Pie Bite over the bowl of melted chocolate and use a spoon to pour chocolate over the top allowing excess chocolate to drip back in to the bowl. When the top and sides are covered with chocolate, place back on the baking sheet.
- Freeze bites for at least 1 hour more before serving.
- Serve topped with a swirl of whipped cream and a lime wedge or finely grated lime zest, optional.
Note: *You can substitute 1/4 cup lime juice and 1/4 cup lemon juice for the key lime juice.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Athens Foods, but all opinions expressed are always my own.