Crispy baked corn tortillas filled with chicken, black beans, spices and fresh salsa. An easy, quick, healthy meal that would be perfect for any Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Last week at Harmons, they were sampling a Hearty Taco recipe made with Harmons fresh mild salsa. It was a great combination of flavors, so I brought the recipe card home and put it on the menu for this week.
My kids like to order hard shell tacos when we eat out, so I thought it would be fun to make them at home. Eating Well posted an easy, baked Crispy Taco Shell recipe that was a perfect match for the Chicken and Black Bean filling.
If you drape the tortilla over two of the oven rack rows, you’ll get a flat bottom taco shell like Old El Paso’s Stand and Stuff Taco Shells. Then you’ll have more room to load up your taco with all your favorite toppings.
My daughter was visiting and stayed for dinner the night I served these tacos. She declared them muy deliciouso!
If you’re looking for more delicious Cinco de Mayo recipe ideas, Pam, For the Love of Cooking, and Rachel, Simply Fresh Cooking, did delicious recipe roundups; and Anna, Cookie Madness, and Liz, Hoosier Homemade, posted Cinco de Mayo treats. So there’s no excuse for not eating well on Saturday.
Crispy Baked Chicken and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2 breasts, diced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mild salsa
Crispy Baked Taco Shells
- 8 6- inch corn tortillas I used white corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Crispy Baked Chicken and Black Bean Tacos
- Sauté chicken, onion and garlic in olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and salsa. Cook until heated through.
- Serve on crispy baked taco shells with shredded cheese, lettuce or your favorite taco toppings.
- Crispy Baked Taco Shells
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat tortillas in microwave on High until softened, about 30 seconds. (Alternatively, wrap in foil and heat in preheated oven until steaming, 5 to 7 minutes.)
- Coat one side of tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little chili powder and salt.
- Drape each tortilla over two rows of the oven rack and bake until crispy and brown, 7 to 10 minutes.
More recipes perfect for Cinco de Mayo:
Super Fast Salsa, Barbara Bakes
Stacked Green Chile and Chicken Enchiladas, Barbara Bakes
10 Top Tomatillo Recipes, Foodie Crush
Grilled Shrimp Taco, Everyday Southwest
Key Lime Tart, Two Peas and Their Pod