A fun twist on a Snickerdoodle Cookie, these Lemon Doodle Cookies are a soft lemon cookie rolled in crushed Lemonhead candies and yellow sugar so they have a sweet tart sugar coating on the outside.
If you’re a fan of Snickerdoodle Cookie, I think you’ll love these Lemon Doodle Cookies. Like a Snickerdoodle, they’re rolled in sugar before baking. But unlike a Snickerdoodle Cookie, they’re rolled in yellow sugar and Lemonhead candies.
The yellow sugar adds a bright, happy color to the cookies making them even more fun to eat.
The lemon zest give the cookies a bright lemon flavor, but next time I make them I’m also going to add a teaspoon of Lemon Bakery Emulsion that my sweet friend Carol sent me for my birthday, to give them even more lemon flavor. Carol loves using the Lorann Emulsions. Have you tried them yet?
You’ll want to baked these cookies on a parchment or Silpat lined baking tray for easy clean up.
Crushed Lemonhead candies add a a tart crunch to the outside of the cookie, which is a nice contrast to the soft, tender cookie. For a crisper cookie, just cook them a minute or two longer.
Lemon Doodle Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon emulsion, optional
- 1/3 cup Lemonhead candies, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons yellow sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in lemon zest and lemon emulsion if using. Add flour mixture; mix at low speed until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together crushed lemonheads and yellow sugar.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls, then roll in sugar mixture. Place 2″ apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until cookie is set and bottoms start to brown. Remove to a wire cooling rack.
High altitude adjustments – ½ teaspoon baking soda 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
Other lemon cookies you might like:
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies, Barbara Bakes
- Lemon Bar Cookie Cups, Barbara Bakes
- Lemon Glazed Madeleines, Barbara Bakes
- Lemon Whippersnaps, Mom on Time Out
- Italian Lemon Drop Cookies, Wishes and Dishes
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies, Taste and Tell