Sun-Maid recommended that I “start the day with a parfait…raisins, fresh fruit, light, easy-to-make orange-raisin cream cheese and crunchy granola layered in your favorite stemmed glasses. It’s a healthful and easy-to-make breakfast!” They sent me their Morning Parfait recipe along with raisins to make it. It’s definitely an elegant and delicious way to start the day.
I made a few changes to the recipe to lighten it up even further. I reduced the amount of cream cheese and added a container of Greek Yogurt. I used agave syrup instead of sugar and I made my own low fat granola using Earth Balance® Organic Coconut Spread.
Earth Balance sent me coupons to try their new Coconut Spread made with extra virgin coconut oil. It’s an affordable alternative to coconut oil and it’s vegan, lactose-free and organic. Since I’ve seen lots of blog posts about baking with coconut oil, I was happy to give it a try.
I wasn’t disappointed. My son said this was his favorite granola recipe yet and I agree. The coconut spread with the agave syrup gave it a light, fresh taste. We love dried cherries and almonds, so for us this is the perfect granola. I hope you’ll give it a try.
Morning Parfaits with Coconut Cherry Granola
- ½ cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 4 tablespoons orange juice divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 8 oz light or fat free cream cheese softened
- 1 6 oz container low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups chopped fresh berries
- ½ cup low-fat granola
Coconut Cherry Granola
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup dried cherries halved
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut fine
- ¼ cup flax seed meal optional
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ⅓ cup Earth Balance® Organic Coconut Spread*
- ¼ cup agave syrup*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In microwave-safe bowl, combine raisins, 1 tablespoon orange juice and vanilla. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds; let stand one minute to plump raisins.
- Remove a handful of raisins for garnish. Add agave syrup and remaining 3 tablespoons of orange juice to raisins in bowl.
- In medium bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth, mix in Greek yogurt. Mix in raisin mixture and blend well.
- Layer in four tall wine or parfait glasses in the following order: raisin cream cheese/yogurt mixture, fruit, granola; repeat layers of cream cheese mixture and fruit. Garnish with a dollop of cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with raisins.
- Coconut Cherry Granola
- In a large bowl mix oats, brown sugar, almonds, cherries, coconut, flax seed meal, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat coconut spread until melted. Whisk in agave and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture over the oat mixture and mix thoroughly until everything is completely coated.
- Spread evenly on a parchment or silpat covered cookie sheet. Bake at 300º for about 20 - 25 minutes until slightly golden brown. Don’t stir during baking. Cool completely and break into pieces. Store in an air tight container. *You can substitute canola oil and honey.
Other granola recipes you might like:
Tropical Granola, Barbara Bakes
Easy Vanilla Granola, You Know You Ought To
Almond Raisin Granola, Barbara Bakes
Peanut Butter Granola Balls, Two Peas and Their Pod
Blueberry Almond Granola Bars, Mountain Mama Cooks
I find the most marvelous recipes by you. Cherries and coconut with granola sounds like a winner to me.
Jill @ Healthy Kiddo Snacks
Now that’s definitely a parfait taken to the next level. What a great recipe, I especially love your granola ingredients.
Rocky Mountain Woman
I’m having a yogurt parfait with fresh Utah peaches for breakfast and it’s wonderful!
This looks far more elegant! I’m thinking it will be perfect before I play golf on Sunday!
Great idea for breakfast and I love mix of fruits and berries. This is always my go to snack morning or afternoon! Love it
I don’t make them as pretty, but a similar version of this is my every morning breakfast!
A parfait for the morning! wow…I want one too!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
Yum! That looks delicious mum. I love home made granola and this looks like a real tempter 😀 xxx
Maris (in Good Taste)
I would love to start my day with this parfait!
Healthy AND pretty. You can’t beat that!
Barbara | Creative Culinary
You say parfait and I say breakfast…pretty much what I do every day; just love the combo of crunch with the smooth yogurt! Ever since making my first batch of granola several months ago; it’s become a morning staple. I love it with Greek Yogurt with Honey but can only imagine how good some cream cheese would be mixed into that. Not familiar with coconut spread…will have to scope that out; thanks!
Alison @ Ingredients, Inc
This is my type of breakfast (or snack)
I love morning parfaits. They make me feel all fancy!
My Inner Chick
oh, so today you’re being healthy, huh?
And I must admit, This looks DeLish, too.
Desserts In My Kitchen
I would love to have this for breakfast! This looks perfect 🙂
Becky at VintageMixer
I’ll have to try your granola recipe using coconut spread! I’m a big fan of yogurt parfaits for a summer breakfast. In fact I may have one when we go to Niche tomorrow, their’s are really good!
I would love this for breakfast!
I have some dried cherries that someone sent me and this looks like the perfect recipe. Did you find the coconut spread in the grocery store??
Hey my hubby shot that video. He used an editing program called Studio15. He did a great job. Me? I just felt silly, LOL 😉
I got the coconut spread at Whole Foods. Hope you love it as much as we did.
natalie (the sweets life)
looks to me like a good way to start the day! that granola especially sounds wonderful!
Lauren from Lauren's Latest
Coconut Cherry Granola sounds like a wonderful flavor combination! How yummy!
Mmmhhh, so delicious! A great breakfast treat.