Soft gingersnap cookies made with molasses and the warm winter spices ginger and cinnamon. A family favorite that my family loves especially when cold weather’s here.
We’ve been making this gingersnap cookie recipe for years. My husband was craving them, so he pulled up Barbara Bakes on his iPad and searched for them. They weren’t on my site yet. So he decided to make them and have me take pictures so I could share the recipe with you, and they’d be on Barbara Bakes the next time he wanted to make them.
My sister-in-law gave us the recipe about 35 years ago when we first got married. I believe she got the recipe from her mom. I haven’t tweaked the recipe very much of the years. It’s got a nice balance of spicy and sweet.
The cookies have the traditional gingersnap crinkled top and crisp edges, but we like to bake them so the centers are soft and chewy. If you prefer a crisp gingersnap, you could cook the cookies a few minutes longer.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and molasses, and beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Add vinegar and mix until blended.
- For each cookie, roll 1 tablespoon dough in to a ball. Roll each ball in additional granulated sugar.
- Place dough 2 inches apart on ungreased, or parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until edges are set and tops are cracked, but the center is still soft. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
Chocolate Filled Gingersnaps, Barbara Bakes
White Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Brown Butter Gingersnap Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Picky Palate
Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookies, Two Peas and Their Pod
Gingersnap Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle, Completely Delicious