Large pasta shells filled with an extra cheesy version of spinach artichoke dip, topped with a quick marinara sauce and sprinkled with more cheese.
Itzy’s Kitchen is my Secret Recipe Club blog this month. Erica is a group fitness instructor and Itzy’s Kitchen is filled with quick, and (usually) healthy recipes, with a few indulgent treats thrown in for good measure.
Erica also has lots of delicious vegetarian and meatless recipes on Itzy’s Kitchen. This Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells recipe would be perfect for a meatless Monday. She adapted the recipe from Rachel Ray. I changed up the recipe a bit more to suit our tastes and to feed my crowd.
I topped the shells with a quick marinara pasta sauce. It’s so quick, easy and inexpensive that I never buy jarred pasta sauce, but feel free to substitute your favorite pasta sauce. I think a light alfredo sauce would also be a great addition to this fun twist on stuffed shells.
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells
- 3 cups part skim ricotta
- 1 ½ cups shredded part skim mozzarella
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups fresh spinach wilted and cooled
- 1 15 oz can artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 box large shell pasta cooked according to package directions
- Pasta sauce my recipe is below or use your favorite pasta sauce
- Shredded cheese optional (I used a cheddar Monterrey jack blend)
Quick Pasta Sauce
- 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes in rich puree
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spread a layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of large baking dish. Mix together the first 7 ingredients. Stuff shells with mixture, top with pasta sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the middle is hot and bubbling.
- Quick Pasta Sauce
- Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan on medium heat until hot.
Visit the Secret Recipe Club for information on how to join in the fun. Stop by Itzy’s Kitchen for more delicious recipes. And be sure and check out all the great recipes the Secret Recipe Club members created this month.
‘); // ]]>