On Saturday my dear friend got married in a small outdoor ceremony. She liked the popular idea of doing cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake and asked me if I’d bake them for her. Of course I was honored to bake them and to be a part of her special day.
She chose fall colors for the wedding and we thought German chocolate cupcakes would be a perfect fit. I used our family favorite Easy German Chocolate Cake recipe and dressed it up with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and a drizzle of chocolate on top. I baked them in red and gold foil cupcake liners and they really were a perfect fit for the season.
Congratulations Karen and Mark! I wish you a lifetime of happiness together!
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (7 oz. package) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Mix the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl on low speed for one minute until combined. Beat at medium speed for two minutes more. Spoon cupcake batter into paper liners until 1/2 to 2/3 full. (I used a medium cookie scoop (40) which makes it easier to fill the cups; 2 scoops was the perfect amount - do not overfill.)
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the cake springs back. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- Can also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 – 35 minutes, or 13 x 9 baking dish for 38 – 42 minute.
- Combined butter, sugar, evaporated milk and eggs in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 12 minutes or until thickened. Add vanilla, coconut and almonds. Cool to room temperature before frosting cake. (I again used the medium cookie scoop to portion out the frosting onto the cupcake. One scoop was the perfect amount and the rounded mound made it easy to spread evenly on top.)
adapted from Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
Other great fall cupcake recipes you might like: