A couple of days ago, I saw this shortbread cookie recipe on Amibika’s Kitchen and couldn’t wait to bake it. Amibika described it as having a soft, melty texture which reminded me of the heavenly, melt-in-your-mouth Lime Meltaways that I posted 2 years ago.
Amibika found the original Butterscotch Shortbread Recipe on Taste of Home. I didn’t want to trek to the store to buy butterscotch chips and English toffee bits, so I substituted mini cinnamon chips. I also decided to use a Christmas tree cookie cutter instead of a round one and I dressed them up with a powdered sugar glaze and sprinkles.
It’s a tender, not very sweet cookie. The chilled dough was easy to roll out and the scraps came together beautifully to make more cookies. The recipe made 24 Christmas tree cookies.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini cinnamon chips
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and salt and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just blended. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4th inch thickness. Cut with a fluted 2 inch round cookie cutter (I used a Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter). Place the cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Don't over bake. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
This post is week 10 of my 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies posts. I hope you get some great ideas checking out all of the fabulous cookies the other 12 weeks of Christmas Cookies (and sweets) bakers baked up for this week.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!