The flavors of caprese, fresh basil, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, in a quick, baked ravioli casserole. An easy, cheesy way to feed your family.
The other day my daughter and I fixed Light Creamy Pesto Ravioli for dinner. At the bottom of that recipe I linked to Taste & Tell’s Baked Ravioli recipe. Jenn said ooooh let’s try that one. So about a week later we were eating this delicious baked ravioli inspired by Deb’s recipe.
I made caprese salad to take on a picnic on Mother’s Day, and I had plenty of leftover ingredients, so Baked Caprese Ravioli was born. The fresh mozzarella, melted in to a fantastic, stringy, cheesy pizza like topping.
We eat ravioli a couple of times a month and I like to buy the fresh ravioli at the warehouse stores. This time I bought the Heirloom Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella ravioli which worked perfectly in our caprese ravioli.
I used my favorite quick pasta sauce, which is super quick and much more tasty than jarred sauce, but if you’d like, go ahead and use jarred sauce. Everyone loved this hot, cheesy meal and I loved that it was so easy too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in rich puree
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 pound refrigerated ravioli
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- Toss sauce with ravioli. Pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top ravioli with a layer of mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle Parmesan Romano cheese on top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
More ravioli recipes you might like:
Cheese Ravioli with Summer Squash Ribbons, Barbara Bakes
Sweet Corn Ravioli with Brown Butter Basil Sauce, Parsley, Sage & Sweet
Red Pepper, Garlic and Herb Ravioli, Barbara Bakes
Quick Ravioli with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Arugula & Hazelnuts, Cookin’ Canuck