A rich, fudgy chocolate layer cake with a no-bake peanut butter cheesecake filling in the middle covered with a creamy, smooth milk chocolate ganache and finished with chopped Dove milk chocolate peanut butter candies and finely chopped peanuts.
A few weeks ago, I was at a wedding reception for my neighbor’s daughter. I was sitting at a table with another neighbor, Darlene, and she mentioned she’d been dreaming about baking the perfect chocolate peanut butter cake.
We talked about it having a creamy peanut butter filling, icing it with chocolate ganache, and topping it with chopped peanut butter cups. Another neighbor at the table mentioned that she thought Dove made the best peanut butter chocolate candies.
After the wedding, I couldn’t get Darlene’s perfect Peanut Butter Cheesecake Chocolate Cake off my mind. Since my boys are big peanut butter chocolate fans, I asked them if they’d like a peanut butter cake for their 19th birthday. They happily agreed.
(I love this picture of my grandsons mesmerized by the candles on the cake. Matt refused to give me a smile for the pictures. How did 19 years go by so fast?)
Since I served the cake to my crowd at the birthday party, Darlene didn’t get a piece of this decadently, delicious Peanut Butter Cheesecake Chocolate Cake. But now that she’s got a great recipe she can finally bake the cake she’s been dreaming of.
If you’re a chocolate peanut butter lover, you need to make this luscious cake too.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water*
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 8.5-ounce bags Dove Peanut Butter Promises, divided
- 16 oz. milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two 9x2 inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk just until combine.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in the pans on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert them onto the rack. Leave cakes upside down (this flattens domed cakes) to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks. In another large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla until blended and smooth. Gently fold in whipped cream a little at a time. Fold in 1 cup Dove chocolates, finely chopped.
- Place half of the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add remain chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool until ganache is thickened but still thin enough to drip down the sides of the cake.
- When the cake layers are cool and ganache has thickened, evenly spread filling on bottom layer, carefully stack the second layer on top of filling. Spoon chocolate ganache on top of the cake, spreading to edges and letting the ganache drip down the sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Pile remaining coarsely chopped Dove chocolates on top.
More Chocolate Peanut Butter desserts you might like:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skookie, Barbara Bakes
Peanut Butter Nutella Cookie Cups, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake, I Wash You Dry
Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Cake, Life, Love and Sugar
Peanut Butter Cake Bars, Dine and Dish