A mouth watering combination of sweet apples and tart cranberries topped with a crumbly streusel topping. This Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie is the perfect Thanksgiving pie.
Cranberry Apple Pie
I make this apple cranberry pie for Thanksgiving every year. It is a perfect combination of sweet and tart. You pre-cook the cranberries and apples separately, so there is never a concern that the pie will be too runny, or the cranberries will overpower the apples and turn them pink.
I love the added crunch and texture of a streusel topping. So instead of a traditional double crust pie, I add a sweet crumbly streusel topping. You can’t help but say ummmm when you’re eating this pie!
Update: I recently took this pie to a blogger pie party, and decided to update this post with some new better pictures and a slightly modified recipe.
You really do need to give this one a try.
Cranberry Apple Streusel Pie
For the Pie Filling
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 pounds apples peeled, cored, and cut into ¼ inch thick pieces (about 6-7 medium apples)
For the Struesel Topping
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 Unbaked Single Crust Pie Shell
- Bring cranberries, orange juice, ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the berries have popped and thickened about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature (30 minutes).
- Mix ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in large microwave-safe bowl. Add apples and toss to coat. Microwave on high, stirring every 3 minutes, for 10-14 minutes or until the edges of the apples are slightly translucent and liquid has thickened. Cool to room temperature (30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roll refrigerated pie dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place dough in pie pan and flute edge as desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl combine ¾ cup flour, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and oats. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread the cranberry mixture evenly in the dough-lined pie pan. Top with apple mixture. Top with streusel topping.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and continue to bake for 25-30 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Cool before serving.
I have the pleasure of hosting Christmas breakfast for my extended family every year. Traditionally we have sweet rolls, hash brown casserole, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Plus divinity, fudge, sugar cookies and all the Christmas goodies that I’ve bake up, or my sweet neighbors and friends have brought by.
This year I made four large candy cane sweet rolls, two with a cherry pie filling and two with the apple cranberry filling from this pie. They were heavenly!