A mouth watering combination of sweet apples and tart cranberries topped with a crumbly streusel topping. This Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie is the perfect Thanksgiving pie.
Cranberry Apple Pie
I make this apple cranberry pie for Thanksgiving every year. It is a perfect combination of sweet and tart. You pre-cook the cranberries and apples separately, so there is never a concern that the pie will be too runny, or the cranberries will overpower the apples and turn them pink.
I love the added crunch and texture of a streusel topping. So instead of a traditional double crust pie, I add a sweet crumbly streusel topping. You can’t help but say ummmm when you’re eating this pie!
Update: I recently took this pie to a blogger pie party, and decided to update this post with some new better pictures and a slightly modified recipe.
You really do need to give this one a try.
Cranberry Apple Streusel Pie
For the Pie Filling
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 pounds apples peeled, cored, and cut into ¼ inch thick pieces (about 6-7 medium apples)
For the Struesel Topping
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 Unbaked Single Crust Pie Shell
- Bring cranberries, orange juice, ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the berries have popped and thickened about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature (30 minutes).
- Mix ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in large microwave-safe bowl. Add apples and toss to coat. Microwave on high, stirring every 3 minutes, for 10-14 minutes or until the edges of the apples are slightly translucent and liquid has thickened. Cool to room temperature (30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roll refrigerated pie dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place dough in pie pan and flute edge as desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl combine ¾ cup flour, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and oats. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread the cranberry mixture evenly in the dough-lined pie pan. Top with apple mixture. Top with streusel topping.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and continue to bake for 25-30 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Cool before serving.
I have the pleasure of hosting Christmas breakfast for my extended family every year. Traditionally we have sweet rolls, hash brown casserole, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Plus divinity, fudge, sugar cookies and all the Christmas goodies that I’ve bake up, or my sweet neighbors and friends have brought by.
This year I made four large candy cane sweet rolls, two with a cherry pie filling and two with the apple cranberry filling from this pie. They were heavenly!
I would like to know how many cranberries and apples are needed for the cranberry apple streusel pie
Barbra, I was planning on making a cranberry apple pie for Thanksgiving but mine has a double crust. After reading through yours I’ve changed my mind and my pie-I”m giving this one a try. Love the idea of a streusel topping.
Great – I hope you love it as much as we do!
What a great pie. I used 1/3 cup sugar in the apple filling and a bit more cornstarch– also added some cardamom and lemon zest. I didn’t precook the apples and just baked the pie for about an hour and 10 minutes at 375.
Hi Rebekah – thanks for letting me know you made and enjoyed the pie. Cardamom and lemon zest sound like great additions!
Congrats on the award Barbara. Love the layering of apple and cranberry, very pretty. And that candy cane – so cool!
How yummy and delicious looking is that? I love the snowy white zigzag frosting over the top. Have a blessed 2010…
Happy New Year and best wishes to you, Barbara!
The sweet roll looks beautiful, as does the streusel pie. Happy New Year!
Saveurs et Gourmandises
HAPPY NEW YEAR Barbara.
What a cute shape! Happy new year!
Happy New year and wishing you & your family all the best for the coming year.
Aux délices des gourmets
happy New Year I offer my best wishes for happiness and success
Beautiful and delicious Barbara!
May all your dreams come true and may you be blessed with all the best things in life!
Happy New Year 2010! XO