Hot dogs stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon. A simple, fun idea to dress up a hot dog with the flavors of a bacon cheeseburger. These Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs are sure to be a hit this summer, or any time of year.
I was having a craving for hot dogs and I started trying to think of delicious ways to dress up a hot dog for a fun weeknight dinner with my boys. A bacon cheeseburger came to mind and I thought why not incorporate those flavors into a hot dog.
We were out of propane for the BBQ, the day I first made these, so I baked the hot dogs in the oven, but since I posted the recipe, I’ve also made these on the grill and the smoker too. Any way you cook them, everyone loves them.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs in the Oven
Cooking the hot dogs on a grill is my preferred method in the summer, but sometimes it isn’t convenient. So you can easily use your oven to make these Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs just as delicious! Follow the directions below in our printable recipe for best results.
- Slice the hot dog lengthwise just deep enough to create a pocked, and stuff with preferred cheese. Sometimes I used shredded if I have it on hand, other times I use thin 1/4-inch slices the length of the hot dog.
- Wrap bacon around the hot dog and secure with toothpicks as needed
- Place wrapped hot dogs on a broiler pan
- Bake as directed until bacon is crisp and the hot dog is sweating
Usually, I buy Oscar Mayer Beef Bun Length Hot Dogs. I like that they are the same length as the bun, and love that there are the same number of hot dogs as hot dog buns. (Why they all aren’t the same, I’ll never understand.)
The Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Wheat Hot Dog Buns are my favorite. There’s 2 grams of fiber in each bun and it makes me feel like my family’s eating a little bit better.
Recently I bought some fun split-top buns that are cut in the middle of the top instead of having to break them apart on the side. Have you tried the split top buns yet?
I served my Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs with mustard, ketchup and relish, but they’re great with your favorite BBQ sauce as well.
Favorite side dishes to serve alongside the hot dogs can range from quick and easy like watermelon, carrot sticks, grapes, and chips. Or, if you have time to plan ahead, whip up some pressure cooker potato salad, baked beans, or a perfect pasta salad. Either way, these Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs are sure to be a hit.
- 8 hot dogs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 16 slices bacon, pre-cooked
- 8 hot dog buns, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Slice each hot dog lengthwise down the middle almost, but not all the way through. Fill the pocket with a little shredded cheese. (I used Shredded Colby Monterey Jack.)
- Wrap the hot dog with two slices of thin-sliced, pre-cooked bacon. Secure bacon with toothpicks if necessary. (I used Costco Hormel frozen fully cooked bacon that I thawed in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that it was easier to wrap around the hot dogs.)
- Bake approximately 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bacon and hot dog are hot.