Potato Cheese Soup loaded with chunky potatoes, bacon, corn and two kinds of cheese. A hearty potato soup recipe to warm you up on a cold night. It’s comfort food at its best.
I love Marie Calendars potato cheese soup, and I have never found a potato soup recipe that I thought was better until now. Judy at Judy’s Kitchen posted her recipe for Baked Potato Soup and it’s so delicious. It tastes better than Marie’s soup, and it’s much lower in fat!
Also included in this post is a Recipe Round Up. I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing Comforting Soup Recipes.
I like to cook meatloaf and baked potatoes on Sunday and cook extra baked potatoes to make this soup later in the week. It works out great and make the soup so quick and easy to put together.
I changed up the recipe slightly. Judy’s recipe mashes some of the potatoes and adds it to the soup. I prefer the creaminess of the soup without the mashed potatoes. But either way works.
You can use fat-free half and half or regular half and half if you prefer a creamier soup. If you’re not familiar with half and half, it’s half milk and half cream.
If you don’t have time to bake the potatoes, I also have a Pressure Cooker Potato Cheese Soup recipe. It’s ready in just minutes when you make it in a pressure cooker / Instant Pot.
Either way you make it, everyone I know loves this potato soup. I’m sure your family will too.
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 oz. Neufchatel cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pint regular or fat-free half and half
- 6 slices crisp-cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prick potatoes with a fork or knife. Bake in 400F oven for 1 hour or till potatoes are cooked through and soft inside; cool (I refrigeratored them for several days at this point).
- Remove skins and cut potatoes into chunks; set aside.
- In 2 or 3-quart heavy pot, saute the onions in butter over medium heat till transparent.
- Add the Neufchatel cheese and stir until melted. Add the flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add the chicken broth stirring continuously to make the mixture smooth.
- Add potatoes, corn, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add half and half, crumbled bacon, and cheese and just heat through but do not bring to a boil.
More Comfort Food Soup Recipes You Might Like:
Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Baked Potato Soup
Habanero Spicy Chicken Soup with Black Beans
Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Soup Beans & Ham
Southwest Chicken Quinoa Soup
Creamy Potato & Ham Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Soup
Bacon White Chicken Chili
Copycat Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Stovetop Taco Soup
Creamy Roasted Root Vegetable Soup