Potato Cheese Soup loaded with chunky potatoes, bacon, corn and two kinds of cheese. A hearty potato soup recipe to warm you up on a cold night. It’s comfort food at its best.
I love Marie Calendars potato cheese soup, and I have never found a potato soup recipe that I thought was better until now. Judy at Judy’s Kitchen posted her recipe for Baked Potato Soup and it’s so delicious. It tastes better than Marie’s soup, and it’s much lower in fat!
Also included in this post is a Recipe Round Up. I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing Comforting Soup Recipes.
I like to cook meatloaf and baked potatoes on Sunday and cook extra baked potatoes to make this soup later in the week. It works out great and make the soup so quick and easy to put together.
I changed up the recipe slightly. Judy’s recipe mashes some of the potatoes and adds it to the soup. I prefer the creaminess of the soup without the mashed potatoes. But either way works.
You can use fat-free half and half or regular half and half if you prefer a creamier soup. If you’re not familiar with half and half, it’s half milk and half cream.
If you don’t have time to bake the potatoes, I also have a Pressure Cooker Potato Cheese Soup recipe. It’s ready in just minutes when you make it in a pressure cooker / Instant Pot.
Either way you make it, everyone I know loves this potato soup. I’m sure your family will too.
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 oz. Neufchatel cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pint regular or fat-free half and half
- 6 slices crisp-cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prick potatoes with a fork or knife. Bake in 400F oven for 1 hour or till potatoes are cooked through and soft inside; cool (I refrigeratored them for several days at this point).
- Remove skins and cut potatoes into chunks; set aside.
- In 2 or 3-quart heavy pot, saute the onions in butter over medium heat till transparent.
- Add the Neufchatel cheese and stir until melted. Add the flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add the chicken broth stirring continuously to make the mixture smooth.
- Add potatoes, corn, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add half and half, crumbled bacon, and cheese and just heat through but do not bring to a boil.
More Comfort Food Soup Recipes You Might Like:
Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Baked Potato Soup
Habanero Spicy Chicken Soup with Black Beans
Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Soup Beans & Ham
Southwest Chicken Quinoa Soup
Creamy Potato & Ham Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Soup
Bacon White Chicken Chili
Copycat Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Stovetop Taco Soup
Creamy Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
That looks delicious-perfect for a cold winter night. What a great idea making extra baked potatoes to have ready for the soup….perfect!
Happy New Year to you and your family…
Thanks so much Carol!
I was racking my brains a while ago thinking what to prepare. Good thing I saw this, now I know what to prepare.
That’s exactly the kind of soup I’ve been looking for. Thanks for sharing.
First of all that soup looks amazing. My hubby would love it. Secondly, I am so happy for you and all your loot. I love the chair!!! I really enjoy your blog and your recipes. Have a wonderful day!
Thanks for sharing your recipe. This one looks very delicious
Congrats on your awards!
And… I’ve been wanting a recipe for Baked Potato Soup, and now I have one! YUM!
I made this Monday night. It was so delicious! I haven’t posted yet…tonight. I took to work the leftovers and everyone raved!
Your soup looks soo goood. And what an amazing looking chair!
MMM! The soup looks delicious. I love potato soup.
Congrats on your new chair and awards!!
The Blonde Duck
This looks divine! Congrats on all your awards! Maybe we’ll see more recipes now that you have a nice, comfy chair. 🙂