This month’s Burger Club burger is Katie Lee’s Logan County Burger which won the Burger Bash in NYC at the Food and Wine Festival. The Logan County burger is similar to a patty melt sandwich, although I’m not sure exactly what makes it a burger or a patty melt. In fact, I’ve never eaten a patty melt before. I’ve seen them on lots of menus, but always ordered something else. I think I’ve been missing out.
This burger was a hit with my family. One of my twins wanted to give it 3.5 stars, the other wanted more stars so he could give it a 9 star rating. My oldest son whined about the onions on the burger. My husband said it was really good and he would definitely eat it again (which is pretty high praise from him.) I thought it tasted like a delightful combination of a thin slice of grilled meat loaf on a crispy, gooey grilled cheese sandwich.
I’m giving this burger 3.5 stars. Not only did I love the burger, I loved how quick and easy the recipe is. I cooked the burgers on my electric griddle and the thin burgers were cooked within minutes, a couple of minutes to grill the bread and melt the cheese and dinner is served. This would be a great meal to serve on a busy night.
Visit Reeni at Cinammon Spice & Everything Nice for more information on the Burger Club, and to see what other bloggers rated this burger.
Burger Club: Award-Winning Logan County Burger
- 1 pound ground beef 85 percent lean *
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion half grated, the other half thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 12 slices American cheese optional *
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form into thin patties. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, if desired, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.