Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 large russet potatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 to 3 T 1% milk as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to pan). Cut onions into one inch pieces with kitchen shears.
Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
Drain potatoes; place in large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper, and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
Light & Tasty, November 2006