Jenny, Picky Palate, won the National Cornbread Cook-off in 2007 with this yummy recipe. It’s a winner because it’s just the right blend of spicy, crunchy, creamy goodness. I’ve made this several times and am posting my version so that I won’t have to try and remember my changes each time I make it. Be sure and stop by Picky Palate, one of my favorite sites, and checkout all of her fabulous recipes.
If the market doesn’t have cilantro, or if I’m just feeling a bit lazy, I’ll buy freeze dried cilantro. It’s quick and easy and you still get that great cilantro flavor. They usually have it in the produce section.
Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves or ½ cup freeze dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves or 2 T. freeze dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can 14 ½ oz. diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel Original)
- 2 cups Marie Calender’s Cornbread Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cup Colby & Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 3 cups shredded romaine
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine ranch dressing, salsa and 1 cup cilantro leaves in a small food processor or blender. Process until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- In 12-inch cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, and jalapeno pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken, cilantro, salt, cumin, pepper and tomatoes with green chilies; cook 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with paper towel; grease.
- In large bowl combined cornbread mix and milk. Pour cornbread mixture into skillet. Spoon chicken mixture over cornbread mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Top with romaine and tomatoes; drizzle with dressing.
Oh wow, I didn't know Picky Palate won but I can definitely see why. This looks and sounds so scrumptious.
I love Picky Palate and this does look like the ULTIMATE cornbread. Cilantro is key, I believe, to so many good things in life!
I love the dressing! I am now thinking of where else I can use this lovely dressing!
oh my this looks super tasty..my family would love this..
I love Jenny's recipes too. I need to give this one a try. Looks like a winner…literally.
I had never heard of freeze-dried cilantro. Very cool! Thanks for the great hint.
Great recipe,love that the cornbread goes in a cast iron skillet.
It's good to be back and see what's cooking in your kitchen. That looks yummy and easy to make. A great week night meal!
This sounds fab! Picky plate has some awesome recipes! I am excited to make some sort of version of this fabulousness! Maybe I will have to post it too. Great blog- it's been a while since I have visited- definitely need to check it out more.
genius! what a great way to combine all the best flavors!
This looks like something my family would love!
Just say chicken and taco and you've got me! Never saw this version before I would love to eat it the only tweak is I would use plain yogurt instead of the ranch.
¡Ay, Diós mío! ¡Este plato se ve riquísimo! MMM
Yummy. What a wonderful and inspiring idea. 🙂 Petra
If this tastes even half as good as it looks I'd be happy eating it. This is on my list to try!
WOW! This looks great especially with the dressing.
Great tip on the freee dried cilantro, I'll have to try it. The chicken taco cornbread wedges sound like a winner! Thumbs up!
This sounds great. I haven't tried freeze dried cilantro, but I've had good luck with freeze dried dill.
Oh my gosh, this looks phenomenal! It doesn't help matters that I haven't eaten dinner yet! YUM!
This looks totally divine! I love the fresh veggies and dressing on top!