These Chocolate Dipped Caramel Shortbread Cookies are a delicious, sandy, buttery, caramel shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with Heath toffee bits.
A sweet friend sent me a fun baking package as a gift last Christmas which included some Watkin’s Caramel Extract. I hadn’t tried the caramel extract before and wanted to use it in something special. I left the bottle on the counter waiting for inspiration to strike for weeks.
I’m crazy about shortbread cookies and decided that a shortbread cookie would be the perfect way to highlight the fun caramel extract, which I thought tasted more like a butterscotch flavor.
While the cookies were baking the kitchen was filled with the wonderful scent of butterscotch. The smell reminded me of the Heath Bar toffee chips I had tucked away in the baking basket in my pantry.
So I decided to dress up my Caramel Shortbread Cookies by dipping one half of the cookie in milk chocolate and sprinkling toffee bits on top of the chocolate. That way you get a second layer of butterscotch on top of the cookie.
I fell in love with these Chocolate Dipped Caramel Shortbread Cookies. They really do taste as fabulous as they look.
Chocolate Dipped Caramel Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons caramel flavoring
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- English Toffee pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the caramel flavoring and beat until blended. Add the dry ingredients and beat just until blended.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼th inch thickness. Cut with a fluted 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Add chocolate and shortening to a small, deep microwave safe dish. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip one side of the cookie in the melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip back into bowl. Sprinkle toffee pieces on chocolate and place on baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat to dry completely about 2 hours.