These tiny little coconut cream donuts are sweet, but not too sweet, moist and light and fluffy. Frosted with a light, creamy coconut icing then sprinkled with flaky, toasted coconut.
Recently a publishing company contacted me asking if I was interested in authoring a cookbook they want to have on the shelves for Christmas. Ultimately the deal didn’t work out, but it was flattering to be asked and I did develop this sweet little recipe in the process.
My dear friend Tiffany, Food Finery, let me borrow her mini donut maker. Thanks Tiff! Hopefully, one day soon, I’ll bake up a full size version and update this post with a picture and the cook time.
Coconut Cream Mini Donuts
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Coconut Icing recipe below
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat non-stick mini donut maker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, oil, coconut milk, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill each donut cup about three fourths full.
- Close the lid and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until the tops of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Use a wood skewer to remove donuts to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate donuts with Coconut Cream Icing and crushed toasted coconut.
- Coconut Icing
- Whisk together powdered sugar, coconut milk, and coconut extract.
- Add more powdered sugar to thicken or more coconut milk to thin until icing reaches your desired consistency.