These tiny little coconut cream donuts are sweet, but not too sweet, moist and light and fluffy. Frosted with a light, creamy coconut icing then sprinkled with flaky, toasted coconut.
Recently a publishing company contacted me asking if I was interested in authoring a cookbook they want to have on the shelves for Christmas. Ultimately the deal didn’t work out, but it was flattering to be asked and I did develop this sweet little recipe in the process.
My dear friend Tiffany, Food Finery, let me borrow her mini donut maker. Thanks Tiff! Hopefully, one day soon, I’ll bake up a full size version and update this post with a picture and the cook time.
Coconut Cream Mini Donuts
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Coconut Icing recipe below
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat non-stick mini donut maker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, oil, coconut milk, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill each donut cup about three fourths full.
- Close the lid and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until the tops of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Use a wood skewer to remove donuts to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate donuts with Coconut Cream Icing and crushed toasted coconut.
- Coconut Icing
- Whisk together powdered sugar, coconut milk, and coconut extract.
- Add more powdered sugar to thicken or more coconut milk to thin until icing reaches your desired consistency.
That’s such a creative idea!! I feel like food is just more fun when it’s in donut form, whether it’s sweet or savory. And I love how pretty it is! I had featured u in the post of 7 New Ways To Make Fresh Mini Donuts At Home on AllFreshRecipes. Except ur renewly recipes!
Yum donuts with coconut. Anything tastes better with a little coconut
amy @ fearless homemaker
oh my goodness, these look divine! sorry that the book deal didn’t work out, but i’m sure there will be another, even greater option right around the corner for you!
I am sold to your donuts! They don’t just sounded great but look truly mouthwatering too. Slurppppp………..
The coconut cream donuts are compelling! I really like the idea of sweet coconut for breakfast, a delicious idea!
LOL same happened to me and for some reason I was glad it didn’t work out (but then I’m not really a recipe developer like you are!). And these donuts are amazing! Your donuts kill me…. I never get donuts here and I ogle yours. Love the flavors; truly creative!
You are always coming with delicious recipes. Thanks for it. Above mentioned are looks really delicious. I love it.