Coconut Cream Pie is a perfect pie for any season. I added a shortbread crumb crust to the rich coconut custard filling and topped it with vanilla bean whipped cream and toasted coconut.
While apple pie is still America’s favorite pie, I’m more of a cherry, berry, or cream pie lover. (Although now that I think about it, there’s not many pies I don’t love.) While cream pies are perfect any time of year, I crave them most in the summer because they remind me of tropical vacations! (Think about it: key lime pie, banana cream pie, or coconut cream pie—if you close your eyes you’re basically on vacation!)
This summer I’ve been craving a cool cream pie, and this no-bake coconut version is fabulous! I did include a from-scratch shortbread crust in this pie because I prefer the flavor, the pie filling itself is classic no-bake. However, if you want to make the whole thing no-bake—to avoid the oven or to save time—you can substitute one of the ready-made graham cracker pie crusts available at the grocery store.
Recipe Round Up: I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing No-Bake Pie Recipes. After you’ve checked out this easy No-Bake Coconut Cream Pie recipe, be sure and scroll to the bottom of the post for links to all the other great easy side dish recipes!
Lorraine, Not Quite Nigella, my sweet “adopted” Australian daughter, knows about my love of pies and sent me a wonderful cookbook, A Year Of Pies, one year for Christmas. Since I’ve been using more coconut oil, I was drawn to the coconut cream pie recipe in the cookbook.
I substituted coconut milk and coconut oil for whole milk and butter in the filling. Instead of a traditional pie crust, I made a crumb crust with coconut oil and a package of shortbread cookies. It was a great crunchy addition to the pie, and a nice contrast to the creamy filling.
We love the Mrs. Thinster’s Toasted Coconut Cookie Thins that they have at Costco. They would also make a great crust for this pie.
This pie is easy to make and comes together quickly—bookmark it to make at your next summer get-together!
Coconut Cream Pie in a Shortbread Crumb Crust
- 8 ounces shortbread cookies about 10 large shortbread cookies
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk I used lite coconut milk
- 3 large egg yolks beaten
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste can substitute extract
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut lightly toasted (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 325º. Crush cookies in a Ziploc bag in to fine crumbs. Add butter and toss until well combined.
- Press crumbs evenly/firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake until about 10 minutes until crust starts to brown. Cool on wire rack to room temperature.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-size saucepan. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Remove ½ cup of the cooked mixture and pour it slowly in to the beaten egg yolks in a small bowl, whisking constantly until thoroughly combined. Add this mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla and coconut oil. Beat until the coconut oil is fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the coconut.
- Transfer the coconut custard to a medium size glass or ceramic bowl. Cover and allow to come to room temperature.
- Once cooled, pour into cooled crust, using a spatula as necessary to distribute the custard evenly.
Assemble the pie:
- Pour the cream into a medium-size bowl. Add the powdered sugar, and vanilla bean paste and using either a mixer or whisk, beat the cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Pile the whipped topping over the pie, mounding in the center and covering the filling completely. Sprinkle the toasted flaked coconut evenly across the top.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator and keep chilled until ready to serve.
MORE NO-BAKE PIE RECIPES
Cap’n Crunch No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
No Bake Sour Cream Lemon Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
Pistachio Pudding Pie
Easy No Bake Strawberry Pie
No Bake Mango Pie Recipe
S’mores Coconut Cream Pie
No Bake Pina Colada Pie
No Bake S’mores Pie
No Bake Oreo Cannoli Cream Pie
Strawberry Fluff Pie
No Bake Lemon Icebox Pie
More baked pie recipes you might like:
Blueberry Apple Mini Pies, Barbara Bakes
Almond Joy Pie, Barbara Bakes
Fresh Triple Berry Pie, Barbara Bakes
Meyer Lemon Shaker Pie, Vintage Mixer
Chocolate Cream Brownie Pie, The Girl Who Ate Everything