These Fall Millionaire Magic Bars are a cross between a Millionaire Bar and a Magic Bar. They have a shortbread cookie crust, layers of toffee, chocolate chips, coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and are finished with a layer of fall M&M’s on top.
My sweet friend Carol fell in love with The Merchant Baker’s Millionaire Magic Bars and emailed me a slightly adapted version of the recipe. She said she took them to a party and everybody raved about them. I had a food blogger pot luck lunch on my schedule, so I decided to make them and take them to the pot luck.
One of the changes Carol made was adding caramel filled chocolate chips. She had some in her pantry she wanted to use up. When I went to my pantry, I had some leftover coconut, so I decided to add coconut to my bars.
I lined my pan with parchment paper so the bars are easy to remove from the pan. You can also use tin foil. Ramona and Carol used a piece of plastic wrap to press the dough evenly into the pan. I used the paper wrapper from the stick of butter I used in the recipe. There’s always a little bit of butter left on the wrapper and it’s non-stick.
Magic bars typically have a graham cracker crust but Millionaire bars have a shortbread crust. The sweetened condensed milk bubbles and browns as it bakes and gets a nice caramel flavor like the middle of a Millionaire bar.
I initially wanted to make a Halloween bar, so I stopped by the store to buy some Halloween orange and brown chocolate chips to top my bars. The store didn’t have any in stock, so I decided to buy fall colored M&M’s instead. I think the M&M’s look so fun and festive, it may have been a better addition.
Carol was right, these Millionaire Magic Bars are something special. They were a hit at the food blogger pot luck. Since they’re so rich and decadent, a 9×9-inch pan makes 36 bites. Enough for the pot luck and my family to enjoy.
Thanks so much Ramona, The Merchant Baker. for creating the original recipe, and to Carol for sharing her version with me. You should definitely try them too.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fall colored M&M’s
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray 9x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour and salt and mix on low speed just until blended. Spread the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Layer the toffee bits, chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans evenly over the crust. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the entire surface of the bars. Finish with a layer of M&M’s on top.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until top is bubbly and a deep golden brown over the entire surface. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting.