This is my favorite dinner roll recipe. It has a mix of whole wheat pastry flour and bread flour so it gives the rolls just a little more texture and body, but they’re still light and fluffy.
My sister asked me to bring homemade dinner rolls to our family party. So I spent most of the morning Saturday making 5 dozen rolls. I really think they were the best rolls I’ve ever made. Thanks in part to all the bread I’ve been baking for Daring Bakers.
I used my favorite roll recipe, but made a few changes. I added 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 2 teaspoons wheat gluten, and did a double rise. The dough was so easy to work with, the rolls were light but with just enough texture from the whole wheat pastry flour. This will definitely be my go to recipe in the future!
Update: I recently made four dozen of these rolls for Thanksgiving and it was time to update the post with some new pictures. I like to shape the rolls in a crescent shape because they’re easy to roll, and leftover rolls are great for sandwiches.
To make the crescent shape, roll the dough into a 12 inch circle and use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 12 wedges. There’s more information on shaping the rolls in the Refrigerator Crescent Roll Post.
When they’re hot from the oven, I like to brush the tops with butter.
- 2 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) quick rise (instant) yeast
- 1 cup milk (120º to 130º)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Mix 1 cup bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, wheat gluten, and yeast.
- Heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt until warm. Add to flour mixture, add egg.
- Beat at low speed for 1/2 minute. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Switch to the dough hooks if you have them. Stir in the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. (Add more or less if necessary.)
- Knead until smooth (6 to 8 min.). Shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, turn. Cover, let rise until double (45 to 60 Min.).
- Punch down, let rise again (30 min.), Punch down, let rest 10 min, and shape into desired shapes. Cover. Let rise until double (30 min.).
- Bake at 375º for 10 - 12 minutes.