This Easy Lemon Garlic Hummus recipe is a crowd-pleasing dip that takes just 10 minutes to whip together with canned chickpeas, creamy avocado, and bright lemon juice.
If you haven’t made your own hummus before, you’re going to love how easy it is. Plus, you can mix and match your favorite ingredients to build a flavor you love. This is a healthy Mediterranean recipe to add to your entertaining repertoire. And if you’re looking for an Instant Pot recipe, see our Pressure Cooker Hummus too.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This is a go-to dip recipe for any occasion. It requires no cooking, which makes it great for the summer, but it packs plenty of flavor and has a light creamy texture.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Hummus
This recipe is different from other homemade hummus recipes because it’s tahini-free. Instead of the sesame seed paste, this recipe gets its unique flavor and fluffy texture from mashed ripe avocado.
I always like to have ripe avocados on hand to add creaminess and healthy fats to breakfasts, sandwiches, and salads. Since I don’t always have tahini on hand, I added smashed avocado instead of the tahini. The result is delicious. It’s light, creamy, and has a nice very light greenish color. (Have you tried the smashed avocado at Costco? It’s a great shortcut.)
If you love a stronger lemon flavor, feel free to add more lemon juice or zest to the hummus. Likewise, you can use more or less garlic depending on your flavor preference.
Do I Need a Blender to Make Hummus?
Make your hummus in a food processor or blender for the smoothest, lightest, and airiest texture. If you don’t have a blending appliance, however, you can also mash everything by hand. Use a sturdy potato masher and put some elbow grease into it!
Ingredients to Add to Homemade Hummus
You can easily mix up this lemon garlic hummus with some add-in ingredients. I like:
- Diced or roasted red bell peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Spices like paprika, chili powder, cumin or red pepper flakes
- Hot sauce
- Fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, parsley or oregano
This lemon garlic hummus with avocado will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
What to Serve with Hummus
This is a classic Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dip, appetizer or side dish. Round out your menu with these favorite recipes from the region:
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread is a fun and easy flatbread that puffs up beautifully and is the perfect vehicle to dip into your hummus.
- Greek Souvlaki is a family-favorite grilled pork loin with bright lemony flavor.
- Instant Pot Greek Beef Tacos can get a creamy upgrade from a dollop of homemade avocado hummus.
Lemon Garlic Hummus
- 1 can 15.5 ounce garbanzo beans (chickpeas) about 1 ½ cups
- ½ cup smashed avocado
- 5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Cloves of garlic peeled
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- Optional 1 Tablespoon olive oil garnish
- Place the beans, lemon juice, avocado, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth. Depending on your food processor this may take up to 5 minutes.
- Pour into a serving bowl and serve with vegetables, pretzels, or pita chips. Enjoy!
- Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.