Start the day with a little taste of the tropics. These Mango Lime Muffins are a tender, light, fluffy muffin with a mild lime flavor loaded with chunks of mango, topped with a sweet, crunchy almond streusel, and drizzled with a tart lime glaze.
My Key Lime Pie with a Mango sauce was the inspiration for these muffins. I love the flavor combination, and had left over mangos and limes. So the next morning, I decided to transform my Blueberry Streusel Muffin recipe in to a tropical muffin.
The streusel topping and tart lime glaze makes these muffins almost like mini coffee cakes. You could make the muffins without the toppings and they’d be great, but the toppings really make them extra fabulous.
In fact, I loved the topping so much I was daydreaming about making muffin top muffins. I have two muffin top pans that I need to pull out of the cupboard and start using more often. This muffin recipe would make fabulous muffin top muffins.
If you love mangos, you’re going to love this muffin. You may even daydream about it too.
Mango Lime Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cups diced fresh mango
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds slightly crushed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare streusel topping and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, lime zest and milk. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in mango.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan before removing to cool on a wire rack.
- Streusel ToppingIn a small bowl, whisk together sugar and flour. Add butter and mix until mixture has a sandy texture. Mix in almonds.
- GlazeWhisk together powdered sugar and lime juice until smooth. Drizzle over muffins.