Homemade applesauce is a healthy, sweet, delicious snack. We like to eat it as soon as it’s cool enough to eat, but it’s great at room temperature or even cold straight from the fridge.
This winter I’ve been using my pressure cooker more. I’ve also been trying to eat healthy desserts. So when my husband brought home a big bag of Jonagold apples I decided to change one of our favorite snacks, Cookin’ Canuck‘s Crockpot Applesauce recipe, in to a pressure cooker applesauce recipe.
I like to use my apple peeler/slicer to cut the apples, but Kitchen Therapy makes a pressure cooker applesauce with the skins still on to add color to the applesauce. After it’s cook you separate the skins then stir/blend it.
You can blend the applesauce in a blender so it’s complete smooth, but I like to leave it a little chunky. An immersion blender is the perfect tool for making applesauce. You can blend it as much as you like right in the pot.
Homemade appleasauce, whether you make it in the pressure cooker, in the crockpot, or on the stove, is a treat my family loves, and I think yours will too.
- 10 large Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, and quartered or sliced
- 1/4 cup apple juice or water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the apple pieces, apple juice, sugar and cinnamon in the pressure cooker and stir to combine. Select High Pressure and set cook time for 4 minutes. (It took about about 10 minutes to come up to pressure.)
- After timer beeps use the quick release method to release the pressure. (You could also use a natural pressure release, but I'm impatient.)
- Stir apples, breaking up large chunks, until you've achieved your desired consistency. (Or you can take the easy way like I did and blend the apples with an immersion blender in the pot.)
More pressure cooker recipes:
Steel Cut Oats, Barbara Bakes
Sirloin Tips in Gravy, Barbara Bakes
Pulled Pork: Pressure Cooker Style, Frieda Loves Bread
Roasted Baby Red Potatoes in 10 Minutes!, Frieda Loves Bread
Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken and Orzo, Barbara Bakes
Pressure Cooker Chicken Taco Filling, Barbara Bakes