Spice up this year’s Valentine sugar cookies with cinnamon. These fun Red Hot Sugar Cookies start with a tender sugar cookie base that’s iced with a cinnamon frosting loaded with crushed Red Hot candies.
This cookie was my husband’s idea. In fact, he’s made different versions of these cookies three times. Initially he added the red hots to the cookie, but they were too flat. So instead we used my favorite sugar cookie recipe and iced them with a Red Hot Frosting.
These have a fun cinnamon flavor but the cinnamon flavor isn’t overwhelming My grandkids loved them too. If you’d like a stronger cinnamon flavor, you could add more cinnamon oil or crushed Red Hots.
The Red Hots work great because they color the frosting a pretty pink color and the little pieces of Red Hots make the cookies look colorful and festive. All in one easy step.
Red Hot Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 ⅓ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 3 ounces Red Hot candies finely crushed
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, or pulse in a food processor until mixture looks like sand.
- Mix in sugar. Mix in beaten eggs and shape into a ball.
- Divide into two pieces and form into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- Cut out shapes and place on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness and size of your cookies.
Red Hot Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Whisk in corn syrup. Stir in candies. Add more powdered sugar or milk to achieve a creamy, spreadable frosting.