Spice up this year’s Valentine sugar cookies with cinnamon. These fun Red Hot Sugar Cookies start with a tender sugar cookie base that’s iced with a cinnamon frosting loaded with crushed Red Hot candies.
This cookie was my husband’s idea. In fact, he’s made different versions of these cookies three times. Initially he added the red hots to the cookie, but they were too flat. So instead we used my favorite sugar cookie recipe and iced them with a Red Hot Frosting.
These have a fun cinnamon flavor but the cinnamon flavor isn’t overwhelming My grandkids loved them too. If you’d like a stronger cinnamon flavor, you could add more cinnamon oil or crushed Red Hots.
The Red Hots work great because they color the frosting a pretty pink color and the little pieces of Red Hots make the cookies look colorful and festive. All in one easy step.
Red Hot Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 ⅓ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 3 ounces Red Hot candies finely crushed
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, or pulse in a food processor until mixture looks like sand.
- Mix in sugar. Mix in beaten eggs and shape into a ball.
- Divide into two pieces and form into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- Cut out shapes and place on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness and size of your cookies.
Red Hot Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Whisk in corn syrup. Stir in candies. Add more powdered sugar or milk to achieve a creamy, spreadable frosting.
I am A huge fan of cinnamon bears and cinnamon lollipops. My mom used to make a jello with applesauce and melted red hots. This is definitely going to be a hit in my family! Thanks Barbara!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
I love that these are hot cinnamon flavoured mum! You’re so creative! 😀 xxx
Dorota | HappyForks.com
Cookies for valentines is a great idea. I was wondering about chocolate icing with chilli. They both are aphrodisiacs!
Rocky Mountain Woman
Great idea for Valentine’s Day!
Can’t wait to make these for Valentines! Thank you for sharing.
They look so lovely, Barbara. The perfect cookies for the month of February! 🙂
Brilliant and beautiful!
2 sisters recipes
REd hot sugar cookies! These look so lovely Barbara! Cant wait to try them.
Have a great week!
I haven’t had red hots since I was a kid! I know I’d love your cookies—the speckled frosting is beautiful 🙂
What a cute Valentine cookie-and a great idea for using red hots too. I love cinnamon in everything so these would be a real treat.
Karyn @ Pint Sized Baker
I love the idea of the Red Hots in the glaze! Sweetness with a kick!
So pretty and tempting! A great Valentone’s Day gift.