These easy to make red, white and blue fruit and cheese skewers are a perfect appetizer for any 4th of July party. Fruit and cheese is a classic combination and these fun-to-make, fun-to-eat fruit and cheese skewers are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
The red watermelon, white mozzarella, and dark blue blueberries are the perfect combo for a 4th of July appetizer. But of course, these fruit and cheese skewers are a perfect addition to any summer get together.
Making fruit and cheese skewers
First, you’ll want to cut the watermelon into quarters. I like to use a melon knife or a long serrated knife to cut the watermelon.
What to use if you don’t have a mellon baller
Using a melon baller is the easiest way to create the cute little watermelon balls, but you can also use a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon to create the melon balls.
You can also cut the melon into squares if you prefer. I have a great How To Slice Watermelon post.
Once you’ve made your watermelon balls, it’s time to put the fruit and cheese on skewers so they’re easy to serve.
Six-inch bamboo skewers work really well for this easy appetizer. If you have longer skewers you want to use, you will want to layer the fruit and cheese twice.
What cheese should I buy for the fruit and cheese skewers
Your grocery store and Costco usually have recipe ready, fresh Mozzarella balls, Ciliegine mozzarella. You want the ones that are about the size of a cherry and are floating in liquid. Don’t buy the marinated ones for this appetizer.
You could also buy a package of fresh mozzarella and cut it into squares or make your own mozzarella balls.
You could also substitute mild feta cheese. If using feta, I would cube it and the watermelon.
These fruit and cheese skewers are best served within a couple of hours of making them.
It’s a light refreshing appetizer that’s sure to be a hit at your next summer party.
More 4th of July Recipes You Might Like:
- 4th of July Blueberry Cranberry Streusel Muffins – moist, fluffy muffins load with red cranberries, blueberries and topped with a sweet white streusel topping.
- 4th of July Lemon Cranberry Shortbread Cookies – red, white and blue star-shaped cookies for the 4th of July are a sandy, crumbly shortbread cookie studded with dried cranberries, covered in a tart lemon glaze and topped with fun red, white, and blue stripes.
- Red, White & Blue Berry Puff Pastry Parfaits – layered lightly sweetened strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries with a creamy, rich whipped cream cream cheese mixture, and top it with a flaky, sweet puff pastry star.
- Red, White & Blue Trifle, Skinnytaste – a mix of fresh summer berries, white chocolate pudding, angel foods cake, and whipped cream.
Red White and Blue Fruit and Cheese Skewers
- 1 8 oz tub Mozzarella balls my container had 23 balls
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 1 Seedless Watermelon
- Mint leaves for garnish optional
- Scoop out balls of watermelon and set aside.
- Drain mozzarella balls.
- Skewer 2 blueberries, 1 mozzarella ball and 1 watermelon ball on to skewers.
Leave a Reply