Tender, moist Sourdough Banana Bread Muffins studded with dried cranberries and topped with a crunchy, sweet almond streusel. A fabulous way to start the day.
Last month I posted my Whole Wheat Sourdough Blender Pancakes recipe, along with info about making a sourdough starter. You have to feed the sourdough starter every week to make room for more flour and water. So once a week when I feed the starter, I get to make something fun. Last week I decided to try Ruthie’s idea of adding sourdough to my favorite banana bread recipe.
Since a loaf of banana bread can take an hour to bake, my husband and I (he’s usually the banana bread maker) make muffins instead. The muffins take only 20 minutes to bake. I’m not a huge nut lover, so this time I opted to use Craisins. But if you love nut, add them as well.
I’ve recently started using If You Care Unbleached Muffin Cups. They’re suppose to be better for the environment, but the real reason I love them is your don’t lose half your muffin when you peel the paper off. They adhere nicely, but come off cleanly, and they look pretty in pictures.
The sourdough flavor isn’t really strong in the muffins, it just adds a nice little tang. I added a streusel topping to these muffins. My husband usually just adds a sprinkle of coarse turbinado sugar before baking when he’s baking muffins. Either way works well and gives you that crisp, sweet muffin top that everyone loves.
Sourdough Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup sour dough starter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds slightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare streusel topping and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Combine banana, sugar, melted butter, sourdough starter, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl; beat on medium speed until well blended. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring just until moistened. Mix in cranberries.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool muffins for five minutes in the muffin pan before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and flour. Add butter and mix until mixture has a sandy texture. Mix in almonds.