The third bread I made for the Bake Sale was Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread. If you’re a chocolate lover, you’ll love this moist, delicious chocolate quick bread. It’s an updated version of the Triple Chocolate Cherry Quick Bread I made in February. I eliminated the cherries because I thought it would sell better, because some people don’t like dried fruit in their breads. My oldest son was disappointed it didn’t have the cherries, but that didn’t stop him from gobbling up half a mini loaf. I’ll probably add a cup of coarsely chopped cherries next time.
This time I used cocoa instead of melted chocolate which added a deeper chocolate flavor. I also added a little bit of red food coloring so that the rich chocolate flavor would pop in a photo. (A tip I read online somewhere since chocolate quick breads tend to look grey in pictures.) Feel free to omit the food coloring if you’d like.
All three quick breads are easy and delicious and my family loved them all. If you’d like to get more information about baking quick breads, The Prepared Pantry has a nice All About Baking: Quick Breads page with great information.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/8 tsp red gel food coloring, optional
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350?F and spray two medium (9 x 5) loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray, or four/five mini loaf pans (5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4.) Don't fill more than 2/3 full.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about two minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla and applesauce and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients stirring until just combined. Coat the chocolate chips with 2 T. flour and stir into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake side-by-side for about one hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (Bake 35-40 minutes for the mini loaves.)
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!