A classic peanut butter cookie – soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. They’re made with Chunky Peanut Butter and rolled in crunchy sugar in the raw. If you love Chunky Peanut Butter, you’re going to love these Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies.
Every so often when my husband has a sweet tooth, he decides to bake something. Usually it’s banana bread to use up overripe bananas, but often it’s cookies.
Cookies are always a big hit at our house, and one of our favorites are these peanut butter cookies. The recipe was a cookie of the week on Martha Stewart’s show in 1998 and we’ve been making them ever since. We’ve updated it to use Chunky peanut butter and Sugar in the Raw.
Making Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies
My husband loves the extra sweetness and crunch that Sugar in the Raw gives to baked goods. He tops his banana bread with Sugar in the Raw and loves to roll cookies in it before baking.
Using a scoop to portion out the cookie dough makes baking cookies, quicker, easier, and more fun. The purple #40 scoop is the perfect size for cookies.
I’m in love with the glass storage container I put the sugar in to roll the cookie dough. You want something that’s not too big so you don’t waste sugar.
If you don’t like the extra crunch of Sugar in the Raw, you could roll the cookie dough in regular table sugar. If you don’t like peanut pieces in your cookie, substitute creamy peanut butter instead.
We like our cookies soft in the middle, but if you like your peanut butter cookies a little more crisp, flat them a little bit before baking.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Chunky peanut butter
- Sugar in the raw
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the peanut butter and continue beating on low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just blended.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat. Form dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in Sugar In The Raw. Place balls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake until rich golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
More cookie recipes you might like:
Homemade Nutter Butter Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Brown Eyed Baker
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars, Shugary Sweets