This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread is a family favorite. It’s a quick bread that’s moist and tender, rich and delicious and loaded with chocolate chips. It’s the perfect solution to any chocolate craving.
Ellie, recently left the following comment on this recipe:
BEST THING EVER!!!!! It’s like a chocolate cake, a brownie, and a chocolate muffin had a baby! It’s fudgy, moist and decadent without being too sweet at all! I’ll definitely be making this again IMMEDIATELY!
I couldn’t have described this bread better. Her comment was just the push I needed to update the recipe with some new pictures and share it again with my readers.
If you’re a chocolate lover, you’ll love this moist, delicious chocolate quick bread. It’s an updated version of the Triple Chocolate Cherry Quick Bread I made in February.
I eliminated the cherries because I was making it for a bake sale, and I thought it would sell better. Some people don’t like dried fruit in their breads. My oldest son was disappointed it didn’t have the cherries, but that didn’t stop him from gobbling up half a mini loaf. I’ll probably add a cup of coarsely chopped cherries next time.
Making Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread
This recipe uses cocoa instead of melted chocolate which I think adds a deeper chocolate flavor. I also added a little bit of red food coloring so that the rich chocolate flavor would pop in a photo. (A tip I read online somewhere since chocolate quick breads tend to look grey in pictures.) Feel free to omit the food coloring if you’d like.
I rarely sift flour any more, but I always sift cocoa using a mesh strainer. Cocoa usually has little lumps that don’t easily dissolve during mixing. So it’s a good idea to get in the habit of sifting cocoa.
You can bake this Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread Quick bread in two standard size loaf pans, but I prefer to use mini loaf pans. They’re the perfect size for a bake sale, a gift for a neighbor or friend, or just to tuck in the freezer for a quick treat another day.
This quick bread uses a creaming method for mixing, so it’s more cake like. If you’d like to get more information about baking quick breads, The Prepared Pantry has a nice All About Baking: Quick Breads page with great information.
Quick breads are always a hit at my house. If your family loves quick breads too, this one is a must try.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon red gel food coloring, optional
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two medium (9 x 5) loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray, or four/five mini loaf pans (5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4.)
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about two minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla and applesauce and mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients stirring until just combined.
- Coat the chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons flour and stir into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Don't fill more than 2/3 full. Bake side-by-side for about one hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (Bake 35-40 minutes for the mini loaves.)
More quick bread recipes you’ll like:
Lemon blueberry Quick Bread, Barbara Bakes
Streusel Topped Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Barbara Bakes
Brown Sugar Banana Bread with Pecans and Chocolate Chips, Barbara Bakes
Lemon Pudding Quick Bread, Wine & Glue
Cranberry Orange Bread, Bless This Mess