Fun, easy to make, soft, crumbly homemade peanut butter sandwich cookies with a creamy peanut butter filling in a fun to eat peanut shell shape.
There are only a handful of store bought cookies that I buy occasionally, usually Oreos and Nutter Butter peanut butter sandwich cookies. Recently I bought a package of Nutter Butter Cookies and while my husband was munching on one he said I should try making them at home.
At first I thought I’d have to use a cookie cutter and it would be time-consuming to make them, but he said he thought we could just pinch them in the middle. So a few days later I decided to give them a try. I searched to see if anyone else had made homemade nutter butters. There were lots of homemade nutter butter posts, and most of them just pinched the dough in the middle.
So I just used my husband favorite peanut butter cookie recipe and adapted it to make nutter butters pinched in the middle.
My homemade peanut butter sandwich cookies are softer than the store bought cookies, because I like a softer cookie. If you like your cookies crisp, cook them a little longer. They were also larger than a packaged Nutter Butter cookie, so just one cookie should satisfy your peanut butter cookie craving.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- Additional sugar for coating cookies
- 4 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the peanut butter and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar. Shape into a log. Roll log in sugar. Place logs on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Using the tines of a fork, make a criss-cross pattern in the dough. Pinch the middle of the cookie to make a peanut shape.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges and still soft in center. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in peanut butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, the milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until smooth.
More cookie recipes you might like:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skookie, Barbara Bakes
Peanut Butter Nutella Cookie Cups, Barbara Bakes
Fudge Filled Irresistible Peanut Butter Cookies, Roxana’s Home Baking
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Bars, Love and Olive Oil
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies, Fifteen Spatulas