Rich, fudgy chocolate cookies loaded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and soft peanut butter chips.
A few weeks ago, I was shopping at Trader Joe’s and a package of Peanut Butter Chips caught my eye. I’m sure I’ve seen peanut butter chips at the grocery store before, but this little package just seemed to be calling my name, so in to the basket it went.
Then last week my neighbor posted on Facebook that her husband “Dennis does what he does best . Lands us a trip to the ER. ran a post hole pounder into his head and split it open. He wanted to turn around and head back to the property but the Doc said no. He’s okay. Has a pretty decent headache. Going to buy him a helmet before he does ANY more projects.”
To make him feel better, I offered to bake him cookies, and remembered the peanut butter chips I had tucked away in the pantry.
Since chocolate and peanut butter are a perfect match, I decided to transform my Halloween Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies in to a Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookie. It was a delicious idea. The chocolate cookie was rich and fudgy, and the peanut butter chips stay soft and creamy even after baking.
This recipe makes a lot of cookies – 4 dozen. I baked 3 dozen and stashed a dozen scoops of cookie dough in the freezer to take with us on our trip down the Oregon coast in our RV later this month. It will be my first time baking cookies in the new-to-us motorhome!
- 2 1/4 cups flour all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 10-ounce package peanut butter chips
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silpat liners.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Stir in peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop by rounded spoonfuls on to cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are set but the center is still soft.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.