Start the day with a protein filled breakfast sandwich that will keep you going all morning long. A fluffy one egg omelette with two strips of bacon, creamy avocado and juicy tomato on a chewy, whole wheat torta roll.
Last week I posted my Whole Wheat Torta Roll recipe. A copycat of the Costco Torta Rolls only smaller and made with whole wheat pastry flour. I’ve been enjoying the rolls all week, and one of my favorite sandwiches to make on the Torta roll is a breakfast sandwich.
I made a light and fluffy one egg omelette for my sandwich, you could fry or scramble an egg if you prefer. I added two strips of pre-cooked frozen Hormel bacon from Costco (only 80 calories for two slices, so I feel good about eating bacon more often now.)
If you’re making a sandwich for one, you’ll love this tip from Mimi Avocado on The Secret for Saving Half of an Avocado. I had a left over avocado half (thanks Mimi for the tip), and also a hot house vine-ripened tomato leftover from the bruschetta I fixed for dinner the night before. So I decided to make a BLT breakfast sandich with the avocado standing in for the lettuce. (It’s green right!)
It was my first time making a BLT breakfast sandwich, but it won’t be my last. I love the addition of the creamy avocado and juicy tomatoes.
Of course, if you’re like some in my family, you’d rather skip the veggies on your sandwich. It’s delicious either way.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 Torta Sandwich Roll, toasted
- Avocado Slices
- Tomato Slices
- In a small cup, whisk together the egg, water, and salt and pepper. Pour in to a pre-heated small non-stick skillet and cook 2 - 3 minutes over medium heat until most of the egg is set.
- Flip omelet over and top with shredded cheese. Cook 1 minute more until egg is cooked through.
- Fold omelet to fit on the roll. Top with bacon, avocado and tomato slices and additional salt and pepper if desired.