Whole wheat pancakes made with coconut oil and lite coconut milk, topped with bananas in a caramel sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut.
While perusing the recipes in the SuperFood Kitchen cookbook recently, I found a pancake recipe that uses coconut oil. (Last week I posted about the benefits of using coconut oil.) The recipe directs you to use a blender to emulsify the coconut oil with the milk to create a lighter fluffier pancake. I decided to combine this technique with my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe. I also amped up the coconut flavor by using lite coconut milk.
To give the pancakes even more of a tropical flavor, I decided to add bananas, and my favorite way to eat bananas is bananas foster. It’s a bit of a decadent topping for a healthier pancake, but probably not more calories than eating pancakes with maple syrup, and they’re definitely way more fun.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 firm ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat griddle to 375º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, blend together coconut milk, milk, coconut oil and eggs until frothy. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Grease the griddle with coconut oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, water and vanilla stir until smooth. Add the banana slices and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cook for 1 minute (don’t overcook the banana.) Remove from heat.
More pancake recipes you might like:
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pancakes, Barbara Bakes
Orange Pancakes with Berry-Orange Sauce, Iowa Girl Eats
Whole Wheat Oat Gingerbread Pumpkin Pancake Recipe, Cookin’ Canuck
Multi Grain Chocolate Pancakes, Sweet Basil
Carrot Cake Pancakes, All Day I Dream About Food
Peanut Butter Pancakes, Your Homebased Mom
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!