Light and airy whole wheat pumpkin muffins studded with dried cranberries and crowned with a sweet cinnamon streusel topping.
I love weekend mornings because my family always (well almost always) eats breakfast together. There’s nothing like the smell of something wonderful baking in the oven to draw people in to the kitchen.
Since I’ve had pumpkin recipes on the brain lately, I decided pumpkin muffins were in order. I combined my favorite Banana Bread recipe with my favorite Blueberry Streusel Muffin recipe and added cranberries because they seemed like a perfect pair. If you’re not a fan of dried cranberries, raisins or nuts would make a good substitute.
The sugary streusel topping is one of our favorites, it adds a little extra sweetness and crunch to the muffins. The muffins are best eaten the day they’re baked when the streusel is still crunchy. Although, I think I did finish off the last two muffins the next day before anyone else got up.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare streusel topping: In a small bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add 2 teaspoons oil and mix together until you have a sandy texture; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and melted butter; add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in cranberries.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake at for 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan before removing to cool on a wire rack.
More muffin recipes you might like: