A better-for-you muffin made with oats and applesauce then crowned with a sweet, crumbly oat topping.
It’s January and like many of you, I try to start the year out eating a little better. I’m a firm believer that little changes can make a big difference, like including more whole grains in your diet. This muffin recipe has more oats in it than flour, and replaces some of the fat with applesauce. Yet the muffins aren’t dense or heavy, they’re tender and delicious.
Using a scoop makes easy work of dividing the muffin batter in to the muffin cups. A Size 16 scoop is the perfect size for muffins.
We love dried cranberries in our baked goods, but substitute raisins or any other dried fruit you prefer. You could even omit them if you want to save a few calories.
Applesauce Cinnamon Oat Muffins
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup raisins or Craisins
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400º. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare topping: In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup oats, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter and mix together until well combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the applesauce, brown sugar, milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Use your fingers to sprinkle muffins with topping.
- Bake at for 16-18 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes in the pans.
- Remove muffins from pans and cool on a wire rack.
More muffin recipes you might like:
Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins, Barbara Bakes
Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins, Sally’s Baking Addiction
7 Healthy Muffin Recipes Under 200 Calories, Ambitious Kitchen
7 Gluten Free Muffin Recipes, Nosh On It