Fall is right around the corner, and the perfect time to the make these Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins. You just can’t go wrong with a muffin loaded with apples, whole wheat flour, and a sweet cinnamon and sugar coating.
The cinnamon sugar coating on these delicious, easy-to-make Apple Cinnamon Donut Muffins will remind you of the popular cinnamon sugar donut.
I’ve seen many different versions of sugar donut muffins on many blogs over the last few months and I’ve been wanting to make them for awhile. I’ve resisted because it’s rare that I serve donuts for breakfast. But when my sons had a sleepover, I thought it called for a special breakfast and these delightfully sweet muffins were a perfect fit.
Also included in this post is a Recipe Round-Up. I’ve joined a fun group of bloggers to put together a roundup of recipes on the first day of every month. This month we’re sharing easy apple recipes.
I used whole wheat pastry flour and add grated apple to boost the nutrition a bit. The grated apple adds great flavor and moisture and cooks quickly.
Note: You could dice the apple if you prefer, but make sure to cut it into small pieces, or the apple will not cook in the short time it takes for the muffins to bake.
I made a double batch and they baked up light and fluffy but had that wonderful cinnamon sugar coating that reminds you of the simple pleasure of eating a fresh, hot sugar-coated donut.
Of course, you don’t have to wait for fall to make these Apple Cinnamon Donut Muffins. They’re perfect any time of year. I hope you’ll give them a try.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 small apples, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color. Add in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Stir in grated apples.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan, remove from pan and dip muffin top in melted butter, then immediately dip in cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More muffins you might like:
Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins, Barbara Bakes
Chunky Monkey Banana Bread Muffins, Barbara Bakes
Apple Pecan Banana Mini Muffins, Barbara Bakes
Pumpkin Nutella Muffins, Inside BruCrew
Healthy Zucchini Muffins, Well Plated
More apple recipes you might like:
Apple Crumble Cake
German Apple Cake with Streusel Topping
Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
Apple Cheddar Pull-Apart Bread
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Bars
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
Old-Fashioned Applesauce Oatmeal Cake