This Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Bread is so rich, moist and delicious no one will ever know that the secret ingredient is zucchini.
My husband loves to eat little zucchini from the garden, but he won’t eat the big ones that I wait a bit too long to pick. So I’ve been baking zucchini bread for the last few months. There have been lots of great zucchini recipes posted the past summers and I tried many of them over the years.
I was especially attracted to the recipes that didn’t use as much oil. Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod posted a delicious, healthy zucchini bread with cranberries, whole wheat flour and applesauce to replace some of the oil.
Sara from Our Best Bites posted a chocolate zucchini bread that she described as “so light and moist and chocolaty that it’s pretty much cake in a loaf pan.” Declaring it “the one.” How could I not try “the one.”
I love her version too. I loved it so much in fact that I made five different versions of it. Her original Chocolate Chocolate Chip with cinnamon topping, Chocolate Chocolate Chip without cinnamon (my kids favorite), her Spiced Zucchini Bread with a hint of orange, Orange Cherry Zucchini Bread with orange oil and cardamom, and my favorite version, inspired by Hilda’s guest post on Jamie’s blog Life’s a Feast, this Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
The water content in the zucchini you grow in your own garden can vary a lot. Especially if you have a few rainy days.
One trick I like to use when I’m making zucchini bread is to spin the grated zucchini in a salad spinner. It removes the excess water from the zucchini so you get consistent results every time.
Even if you don’t have a garden overflowing with zucchini, it’s inexpensive to buy at the market. So pick some up and give this Chocolate Chip Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Bread a try!
I’ve been trying to do more videos for my recipes. People really love videos, especially on Facebook. In this video I didn’t add the brown sugar when I was adding the other wet ingredients, and I forgot to add the topping before I put the bread in the oven. So don’t forget those when you make it 🙂
Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups flour I used whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (or 4 mini loaf pans) and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until blended. Add sour cream and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Stir in zucchini, chocolate chips, and coconut.
- Divide batter between pans. Sprinkle coconut and chocolate chips on top of batter in pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Bake mini loaves for about 35 minutes.) Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan and cool on a rack. (Be careful not to burn yourself on the hot chocolate chips when removing it from the pan.)
More zucchini bread recipes you might like: