Lisa of Jersey Girl Cooks posted this easy and delicious enchilada recipe last December but I didn’t discover it until recently. My husband loved these enchiladas. After the first bite he said, “Oh, these are good.“ Then he said the same thing about ten more times. I loved that they were quick and easy as well as delicious!
Thanks Lisa for sharing this wonderful recipe. Be sure and stop by her blog to check out all her fabulous recipes!
Chicken and Green Chili Enchiladas
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts or purchased already cooked rotisserie chicken
- olive oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 12 6- inch corn tortillas I used flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded light Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 40 – 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 170 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan to medium high and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions. Saute for 8 – 10 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cumin and saute for an additional minute. Stir in the flour until blended and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 – 4 minutes or until thickened. Add the salsa verde, sour cream, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season the creamy green chili sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add about 1 cup of the creamy green chili sauce to the shredded chicken and stir to combine.To assemble enchiladas get a large baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Dip a tortilla into the creamy green chili sauce and put it on a cutting board. (You can also put tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to make them easier to work with.) Put a big scoop of the chicken mixture in the center, sprinkle with a little of the cheese, and roll up the tortilla to enclose the filling. Place the enchilada in the baking dish. Continue to fill all of the tortillas and put them in the baking dish. Pour the remaining creamy green chili sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 – 25 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve hot with sour cream.
thank you so much for the award!
This is a favorite recipe that I developed for one of my personal chef clients. They also freeze great so make an extra big batch!!
First congrats on all your blog awards. (and your wins too!) Also, thanks for sharing this mexican dish. Now I want to make it for my family. My husband would love it. And I love your plate by the way.
First, congratulations on your award…second, the enchiladas look fantastic 🙂
I love enchiladas! Your look and sound fantastic!Great blog!
Congrats on your awards! The enchiladas look wonderful and I'd love to try this recipe. We all love Mexican food around here!
I must make these – soon! I'm sure my husband will love them, too.
The enchiladas look amazing! Congrats on all the awards =D. Thats fantastic!
If your hubby loved it that much Barbra I'm bookmarking to make for the kids!!
Barbara, this does look very good indeed, and would be well received here too, YUM.
Congratulations on your award. Well deserved!
I love Mexican food. I just wish Grumpy did!!
Congrats on your awards!! The enchiladas look so good. They are my idea of a great meal 😀
Yes! They look wonderful! I want them for lunch, how soon can you be here? 🙂
The Enchiladas sounds delish! I love mexican food.
Congrats on all your awards, you deserve them darling.
Have a nice evening.
oh wow, that picture is making my mouth water, i love green enchiladas!! congrats on the award!
Enchiladas are a hit in my house! These look great! I love Sandra Bullock – have fun at the movies!
Julie @ Willow Bird Baking
Mmmm that first picture is a winner — as soon as I saw it I had a CRAVING for these! I bet they're delicious. Can't wait to make them.
This recipe sounds delish! I am going to make it this week! Thanks for the award and congrats to you on recieving them!!
Oh yum! These look delicious! Cant wait to try them…I love enchiladas with verde sauce.
Love the green chili sauce you've used in this dish. And congratulations on your lovely awards. Bravo!