Dara at Cookin’ Canuck recently posted her secret Family Crockpot Applesauce recipe. I’m not really an applesauce lover. Well, I didn’t use to be an applesauce lover until I tried this homemade applesauce!
This applesauce is so appley sweet with chunks of apples, just a bit of tartness and a touch of cinnamon. Nothing like the watery applesauce you buy at the store.
I had been given some apples from a neighbor and needed to use them up, so I decided to try this easy recipe and made half a batch. It didn’t even have time to cool before it was gone. (Yes, I did eat more than my fair share!)
I loved it so much that a few days later I went to my local farmer’s market and bought apples, came home and made a double batch of it. Sadly, it’s gone again. But I did manage to put a little bit in a jar and take some to my mom, who is my biggest fan.
If you haven’t tried homemade applesauce, you don’t know what you’re missing. Thanks Dara for sharing your secret family recipe. Hopefully, millions of people across the country will be enjoying it soon.
Crock Pot Applesauce
- 5 medium-sized Gala apples peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 5 medium-sized Golden Yellow Delicious apples peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup water or apple juice
- Place all of the apple pieces in a large bowl and stir in sugar and ground cinnamon. Pour water or apple juice into the bottom of a large crockpot (slow cooker) and add the apple mixture. Cover, turn the crockpot setting to Low, and cook for about 8 hours (or on High for 5 hours), stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- My changes: (I mixed the sugar, cinnamon and apple juice in the bottom of the crockpot and added the apples as I was cutting them, so I didn’t have to dirty an extra bowl. I used an immersion blender in the crockpot to blend half of it and left half of it chunky.)
Love your recipes. I was wondering if this could be made in the pressure cooker? If so how would I do this? Thanks
Thanks Karen! Absolutely it’s so easy and quick in the pressure cooker http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-applesauce/
I love this and am featuring it on my blog on Tuesday, so thanks!! bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com
I used to make applesauce, all the time, but never in a crockpot. I must try it. There is nothing like homemade apple sauce. How do you eat bottled sauce after your own.
Thanks for linking up. I am just starting the linky and appreciate the support.
Me again! I gave you a blog award!
Another delicious use for the slow cooker YAY! I LOVE applesauce, eating it with weird combinations of food (applesauce and spaghetti! for one). Will have to try this as we sometimes don't use apples up quickly. What a great way to use them.
I've been thinking about applesauce and you've convinced me to get on with it. I love that it's in the crockpot. I'll be trying this recipe real soon.
Hubby asked for your stuffed chicken recipe to be made again soon too. Maybe with applesauce. 😉 I'll call it Barb's Dinner! LOL
Yumm.. Sounds good!
I have had this bookmarked, and now that you have made it twice tells me that I need to make it ASAP!!
This is on my list of stuff to do this week…yum!
If you say it is that good then I will try it. I have been wanting to make applesauce and all my apple sauce recipes are just so so and nothing special. Thanks.
With all the apples I still have sitting here this recipe has my name on it!!!!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
That looks so easy and delicious! You always find the best recipes Barbara! 😀
mmm autumn-ey flavours in a jar!! definitely need to make this!
Perfect ~ I've got apples ready to make into apple sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I am so excited to try making apple sauce in the slow cooker!
so rich and comforting, and i bet your house smelled like fall heaven! delicious!